Thread: Hammer Bandsaw (ACM 400/LT16HD)

Hammer Bandsaw (ACM 400/LT16HD)

Hi all,

i am going to buy a bandsaw soon, and the two contenders are the Hammer N4400 (which is the same as the ACM Star 400, or old Laguna 16HD) and a twice as heavy model by Holzkraft called HBS533S (same model sold by Bernardo as S530H). The Holzkraft is not sold in the US as far as i know. It features twice the weight and horsepower of the Hammer, but it costs alot more as well.
    I think the Hammer would satisfy my needs as well..
    And it'd be easier to move into my shop (6 steps down).

I would like to ask the users of this bandsaw model (Frank Pellow, you listening?) about the dust collection. There is just one 120mm port low on the machine. I'm already thinking about making a hole and building a dust deflector...

Also wanted to ask about releasing the blade tension, the saw doesn't have a quick relese lever. Is such a think available as a spare part/aftermarket accessory? How much of a chore is it to release blade tension with the handwheel?

What's max blade width capacity?
    What is the cross section of a blade you have successfully tensioned/used?

Thanks!
    Timo

servus, wo in deutschland wohnst du??
    ich habe die laguna 16HD seit 2 jahren und bin sehr zufrieden. wuerde sie jederzeit wieder kaufen.

sascha

Timo --
    I have the version of this saw sold by Laguna. I've had it for about five years, and I've done a lot of cutting with it.
    The existing dust collection works just fine. I used to run it with a chip collector which was advertised as a 600 cfm machine, but which was probably less than that. It collected all the saw's dust. (I now have a bigger chip collector. It works well with the saw, too.)
    I don't know of a quick-release lever for the tension. However, the tension knob is quite handy, and there is a built-in tension gauge, so you can release tension and then repeatably re-tension it. (I have to admit I only de-tension mine to change blades. I figure that if steel and rubber weaken under constant pressure, I should be putting my car up on blocks every night. That doesn't seem necessary, so.... )
    The spec'd blade width capacity is 1 1/4", I think. I've never run one that wide. I mostly use mine for resaw, and run either of two blades. One is a 1" 1.3 tpi steel blade which is .035" thick. The other is a 1" carbide-toothed 2 tpi blade whose band is .028" thick.

Jamie

Hi Timo,

have you checked out the Agazzani NRA 400 bandsaw? I've used the NRA 700 model and if it's small brother comes close, it's definitely worth a look IMO.

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

It could be that the Agazzani might be the best mid size saw. Be sure to check out resaw capability compared to the saw's price.

I've got the LT-16HD and have it hooked to an Oneida 2HP commercial cyclone. I am amazed at how clean the interior of the saw stays using just the dust port on the machine. I get a small amount of dust behind the blade, but I don't feel it's enough to add a secondary dust port.

I also use mine for re-saw, for the most part, and as such use the 3/4" re-saw blade from Laguna. I don't find the tensioning wheel all that much of a hassle. I de-tension at the end of each days use.

My .02 cents worth.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Timo Christ
    Hi all,

I would like to ask the users of this bandsaw model (Frank Pellow, you listening?) about the dust collection. There is just one 120mm port low on the machine. I'm already thinking about making a hole and building a dust deflector...
    Yes I am listening. The dust collection is adequate. I, too am thinking of drilling another hole.

Also wanted to ask about releasing the blade tension, the saw doesn't have a quick relese lever. Is such a think available as a spare part/aftermarket accessory? How much of a chore is it to release blade tension with the handwheel?
    I am not aware of such an accessory. I am not going to be able to help you much with the question of releasing blade tension because I have seldom used my shop (and,thus, the saw) since I set everything up last March. Since then, I have been away on trips and working on outdoor projects. The saw came with a (very) cheap 1" blade and that is all that I have used on it. Because I plan to replace the blade as soon as I move indoors for the winter, I have not even bothered to release the tension.

What's max blade width capacity?
    I am told that it is 1 3/16"

What is the cross section of a blade you have successfully tensioned/used?
    Thanks!
    Timo
    One inch.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 09-24-2005 at 8:42 PM.

All,

thank you very much for so much feedback!

Christian, i looked at the Agazzani, but the small one only has half the horsepower of the Hammer (1.1kW vs. 2.2kW). The bigger Agazzani (500) is almost twice the Hammer's price.

Jamie Buxton wrote:
    "One is a 1" 1.3 tpi steel blade which is .035" thick. The other is a 1" carbide-toothed 2 tpi blade whose band is .028" thick."

I need to find a source for blades of this size on this side of the atlantic . These are not standard configurations at the blade suppliers i checked so far.

I'm going to use a 1000cfm canister type DC with it and 2m (6 feet) of 160mm (6.4") flex hose. I guess it will work OK, and a hole can always be added later .

Regards,
    Timo

Hi Timo, I've seen the Hammer 4400 in the FelderUSA showroom, but really haven't had a chance to try it out. I'll have to double check but from what I understand there were some changes from the Starrite model. A friend in France just got the 4400 and he's real happy with it. I could send you his email and you could contact him directly. From what I could observe, the saw has a nice fit and finish, good power at a decent price.
    take care,
    John

Thank you John, i already know someone who has the 4400. The motor is different from the comparable saws discussed here, and other details probably as well. The main questions i had were the DC and tensioning lever, which are equal features on these models.
    I guess i'll go with the Hammer and use saved money for a small autofeeder.
    Regards
    Timo