Thread: Older Fein 9.55.13 vacuum / dust extractor: HEPA filter with cloth bag?

Older Fein 9.55.13 vacuum / dust extractor: HEPA filter with cloth bag?

Hello all,

I just picked up a used Fein 9.55.13 vacuum for $50. It seems to work great and is very quiet! Looks like this:

021188084_1-main.jpg

There is a large cloth filter inside the drum, like this:

95521.jpg

I'm considering also installing a Gore CleanStream HEPA filter, which apparently fits this model:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gore-Clea...re+cleanstream

However, the manual states in capital letters: "DO NOT USE THE FILTER/BLADDER WITH CARTRIDGE AND DUST BAG."

It seems obvious to me that trying to use a dust bag with the cloth filter would not work because there is not enough space. But does the manual's warning also mean that one should not use the cloth filter with a cartridge filter (and no bag)? I'm wondering if the combo of the two filters would stress the motor.

Anyone with experience with this setup? I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks for reading.

I have the Fein Turbo II 9-20-25. You use only the cloth filter OR a bag with either the cartridge filters, hepa rated or 1 micron. I use the Gorestream hepa filter and bag. Sometimes when vacuuming the shop for cleanup, I use the cloth filter only.

You are supposed to use the disposable bags with the 1 micron or HEPA cartridge filters (or no bag), or the 5 micron cloth filter by itself. As to the reason, I don't really know...

The disposable bags do a great job of keeping just about everything off the HEPA filter. I've been buying them up when I can find them for cheap as they won't be around for much longer at decent prices but my two older model Feins will.

Keep in mind with the 1-micron or HEPA filter, you also need a plastic screw and flange to keep it in place. Some places sell it together and others separately. I found the Coastal Tool website to be pretty comprehensive on Fein accessories.

I use the Gore filter and buy my bags here, this is the cheapest price I've found:

http://www.centecsystems.com/fein/

Thanks for all your input. Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Neely View Post
    I use the Gore filter and buy my bags here, this is the cheapest price I've found:

Do I understand correctly that the deal is for a 12-pack of 3-packs (36 bags total) for $96? That's a very low price per bag, but a lot of bags! Do you know if these are OEM Fein bags? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Neely View Post

Wow, sweet deal, Bill, thanks for posting! I don't think I'd get through 36 bags in 10 years...then again hope to get a CNC up soon so maybe that will speed things up.

By the way Ken, not sure if you're planning on putting a separator in front of your vac (e.g. Dust Deputy or Dust Right), but it leaves only the finest dust for your bag and filter, prolonging the life of both.

Thanks for the suggestion, Victor. I did pick up a dust deputy and it works great. With the dust deputy, I'm thinking that I won't ever be able to go through 36 bags, so I just paid $15 for 3 instead

The only place that I can find the Gore CleanStream HEPA filter for the 9.55.13 is Home Depot. Is there anyplace less expensive? Surprisingly, I don't see it on Amazon.

The Craftsman Gore Cleanstream hepa is on Amazon prime for $48.48 now

Quote Originally Posted by John Schweikert View Post
    The Craftsman Gore Cleanstream hepa is on Amazon prime for $48.48 now
    Looks like the correct filter, although the part number doesn't match what's listed on the CleanStream website. Regardless, HD has the correct part number model available in-store for $32.97. I was hoping to save a few bucks compared to that

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gore-Clea...9093/100236884

It turns out that Shop Vac bags - I'm not certain the model # - fit Fein vacs. I use those plus the CleanStream 'red stripe' intended for Craftsman vacs. There isn't a way to use the locking knob like the Fein cartridge filter but the CleanStream filter has a rubber gasket that fits snug enough that the locking knob isn't needed. Seems to work okay.