Thread: Belts for 18-900L drill press

Belts for 18-900L drill press

It's time to bite the bullet and replace the belts on my Delta. For whatever reason, only one of those got chewed up. Is there a better version than the factory original. For which I am being quoted $50.00 each. Really not interested in purchasing company shares at this time. P.S. I tried a link belt from LV, but obviously the pulleys are of the serpentine design. As soon as the press loads up, they slip. Nice try at the very least. Greg

Try these guys http://www.beltsforanything.com/
    they seem to have the widest selection, might help if you can find some info on the original belt
    Tom

Gates used to have charts that they could match up most any belt by using OEM number. Have you "googled" part number? Also check on ebay. Delta didn't make this belt, most likely

That price is not good to hear. I have an 18-900L too. How old is yours and how often are you using it?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    I use link belts.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Bruce: I checked one site that shows $15 a belt. Good price for sure. I can have it shipped to Vanceboro, Maine. Only 20 minutes from my place to the border. Add duty and GST, I'll come out ahead.The $50 price tag was a local supplier. Again, I wonder if their is a better grade in general. Not sure on that.

Ben : its about 6 years old. Probably about 4 hours in total time used. I was using a 2.5" forstner bit when I smelled the smoke. Then the belt started fraying.

Glen: please update me on the link belts. I bought extra when I replaced the one on my table saw. It works super. Is there a different design for my drill press? Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory King View Post
    Ben : its about 6 years old. Probably about 4 hours in total time used. I was using a 2.5" forstner bit when I smelled the smoke. Then the belt started fraying.
    Jeez, thats not encouraging. Mine is about a year old and so far so good but reading something like this makes me wonder. Perhaps Ill order a set of those cheaper belts while the gettin's good.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory King View Post
    Glen: please update me on the link belts. I bought extra when I replaced the one on my table saw. It works super. Is there a different design for my drill press? Greg
    They are directional, of course, but my DP takes 1/2" belts like a lot of my machines. I too just used leftovers for the two DP belts. Really smoothed things out and quieted it down although it was pretty good to start with. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby this is one of their diamonds in the rough. Their link belts are actually name brand and cheaper than most suppliers.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler