Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What bandsaw would you buy?

Well my 636 arrived yesterday. Two runners on the crate had buckled and folded under. So it took us some time to get it off the truck and into the shop. Had to take it off the pallet outside the garage because it wouldn't fit under the door. The UPS delivery guy helped me an incredibly long time. He Musta been here 25 minutes helping me with the saw. Always give them a good tip..

Saw comes with the table on it tilted. It's a pretty big looking motor. I think it weighs 93.5 pounds. So you lose a lot of weight if you take the motor off and the table.. Very little assembly needed. Just really put the fence on. Saw even comes with a blade on it..it's a heavy duty looking saw that's for sure. Plan to put the mobile base on this morning and get it assembled and hopefully fired up. Unfortunately my carbide blade probably won't arrive till next week. Should've ordered the expedited shipping.

I hope my UPS driver is willing to help me get the thing up my 120 ft driveway from the street, too. I have a plan B, but plan A is to ask nicely if he will help - and tip generously. Good to know the table comes mounted on the saw. It and the motor have to come off for sure.

Good luck with your saw. Let us know what you think of it and how you like it.

John

Grizz Saw is up and running. First impression: looks really good. Fit and Finish excellent and runs quiet with little to no vibration. Only got the 6tpi blade that came with the saw so only resawed 3-4in oak and yellow pine, but cut was smooth, no drift. Will wait till get the carbide to give it thumbs up. That should be in next week.

Saw came with no cord, but they are always too short anyway. Already had 10 gauge cord ready. When the saw started it made a horrible noise....turns out the motor fan cover was dented in, rubbing against the blades. Was able to hammer it back in shape with block of wood. Jeez...second Grizzly tool I have had to take a hammer to. Also the quick tension release lever was bent, and that took some force to bend. So did have some shipping damage.

Couple small points, the cursor rubbed against the table so removed it and the fence is just a hair out of square front to back. Tried the adjustment screws but they made the fence hard to move. Will try shimming the rail tommorow. No big deal, with probably build my own resaw fence and shim it square. It also fit perfectly in the shop space I was hoping to use.

Shop is looking very green.

4. Congrats on the new saw!!!

I have been following this thread because I was in the same boat. I have a Delta 14 inch that no longer fits my needs and I started looking for an upgrade. Considered a 20 inch Delta out on eBay for $1200. Not sure if it is good price or not but looks like a beast of a machine. However, I am also in a basement shop and space is a limiting factor.

Started looking at the new Laguna DX series, it is getting a lot of good press. Nice looking saw and it looks well made. However, after reading this thread I took a look at the SUV. Went to my local WoodCraft and the had one on the floor along with PM, Rikon, Jet and some of the other Laguna's. The SUV is a beast with a small foot print. It is just way beefier that the others. As far as I can tell it is the same machine as the larger Laguna’s only smaller. Fit and finish is fine, the wheels and bearings looked much heaver, the adjustment mechanism is made out of thicker steel, big table nice fence… Just overall a much heaver duty looking saw than anything else they had on the floor.

Woodcraft set it up in the back room and let me run some boards through it. It runs very smooth, no vibrations at all. I resewed a 6 inch scrap into several 1/4 inch slices as fast as I could push it through. Then the kicker. Laguna has a couple of them in the clearance section of their web page for $1439. WoodCraft match the price. We have a great local WoodCraft store.

Bottom line, spent yesterday getting it into my basement and today I will be running power and dust collection to it.

Thanks for your post and to all that replied. I will be interested in reading how you like the Grizz and if the extra size comes in handy.

The 14SUV would have been even harder to say no to at that price Robert; that is an amazing bargain for that saw. Good on you. It would have been a whole bunch easier to get down into my basement shop, too. But I know that once I get the big Grizzly bear down there it will do anything I ask of it. My final decision got swayed by the larger, heavier wheels, the ability to be able to tension any blade I want to put on it, and that 5 HP motor. Most of my stock is 12" or less, so that's a whole lot of power when resawing or slicing veneer. I plan to keep a 1" - 1.3 tpi Woodmaster CT on it most of the time.

Enjoy your new saw. Pics are always good. Brag a little !

John

I tried to find this on the Laguna site and it was not there any clues to how to find it. I'm going to check my local woodcraft tomorrow

7. I found it in the outlet section:

Mine had been used in a couple re-saw classes, so it has a little saw dust on it, but I got to keep the blade also.

http://www.lagunatools.com/Outlet

Blog Entries
    I just can't comprehend spending thousands of dollars for a band saw to be put to use in a hobbyist shop. My 14" Jet with a riser block fulfills my needs.

I only occasionally resaw, but I can can exceed 12" resaw capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I just can't comprehend spending thousands of dollars for a band saw to be put to use in a hobbyist shop. My 14" Jet with a riser block fulfills my needs.

I only occasionally resaw, but I can can exceed 12" resaw capacity.

If you did a lot of resawing or veneer slicing I doubt you would be happy with your 14" saw. You might tolerate it, as I did for many years, but it would bring you no joy. I went back and forth many times about whether I really needed a new saw. In the end, of course I didn't; I don't make my living at woodworking. If that were the case, I would have bought the saw years ago. But I decided I wanted it because it will make those tasks a lot more pleasurable. Simple as that.

John

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I just can't comprehend spending thousands of dollars for a band saw to be put to use in a hobbyist shop...
    Lots of guys can.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep