Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any GCC Spirit GLS Owners?

Any GCC Spirit GLS Owners?

I was about to pull the trigger on a Trotec speedy 400 but the GCC LaserPro Spirit GSL caught my eye. I have never heard of the them but they do use Synrad lasers, Servo driven etc. The price difference is about 12k. carriage is a little slower but very similar specs. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

My first laser, a GCC Explorer ZX that I bought in 2006, served me quite well and is in Kev's shop and will serve him just as well. Their machines are built solid and are very dependable. That said, I bought a Trotec even though the closest competitors were several thousand less. Why? I felt the value was greater in the Trotec than any of the others. Job Control is worlds apart from the GCC print driver, although the GCC driver does have some good features and is very capable in its own right. One thing that turned me off from GCC was that the features they touted for my (2006) machine are still basically the same as what they have listed for the latest machines. 10 years is a long time to come up with a few improvements and I didn't see it in their lineup. Trotec isn't employing "bleeding edge" technology, they tend to stick with "tried and true" and dependable technology, but they are a long ways ahead of GCC in that respect. Get the Speedy, you'll be glad you did!

Just going through vet the quote farm GCC. The GCC is $32k the trotec is $50 k. So it is actually 18k more. Have looked at the GLS specs? Seems to be a lot different than the explorers you mentioned.

I did look at the GLS specs and everything about it is similar to my Explorer - it's just a couple inches larger, my Explorer was 38" x 20", but the speed is exactly the same, 80ips, and the rest of the features are very similar - other than "smart lid" and "drag-n-play" they are virtually identical.

I'm curious what you are getting for $50k? I'm guessing 120 watts? My 80 watt machine was about what you were quoted for the GCC.

The trotec I was quoted had extra bed, rotary and extra lens. 120 watt laser. With the trotec software can you do 3 auto height adjustments in the Sam job with out stopping? This is a requirement for me.

Gary , would it be ok if I call you. I have a few more questions if you have time

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bratton View Post
    The trotec I was quoted had extra bed, rotary and extra lens. 120 watt laser. With the trotec software can you do 3 auto height adjustments in the Sam job with out stopping? This is a requirement for me.
    You have 16 colors to work with in Job Control and you can do a height adjustment (z offset) for each one. You can also change the rest of the settings per color, including number of passes, speed, power, frequency, etc.

I can't tell you if it's worth it for you to spend the 18K extra vs the GCC, but I can tell you that I'm 100% happy with mine.

Sure, no problem. I have someone coming by at 2:00 but I'm free until then and then from 2:30 to about 4:30. If I'm running the laser I may have to call you back so leave a message if I miss you. 541.653.8619

Trotec, like other laser companies, likes to quote high at first but if you go to a trade show or simply negotiate, the price will drop significantly.

This was a few years ago, but this is a decent example:
    September trade show at the price of a 300 w/ 80W at something like 23-25k
    Asked to have an official quote something like July or August. Price was in the very low 30's.
    September trade show and the price was 23-25k again.

So my guess is that 50k number is the "I'll go out and buy my wife a necklace" type of sale vs something in the 30's is "This pays the bills".
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    Trotec, like other laser companies, likes to quote high at first but if you go to a trade show or simply negotiate, the price will drop significantly.

This was a few years ago, but this is a decent example:
    September trade show at the price of a 300 w/ 80W at something like 23-25k
    Asked to have an official quote something like July or August. Price was in the very low 30's.
    September trade show and the price was 23-25k again.

So my guess is that 50k number is the "I'll go out and buy my wife a necklace" type of sale vs something in the 30's is "This pays the bills".
    Why would they start out high if they don't give me a good price to begin with I would go somewhere else

How would get different pricing for the Trotec?

Here is what I'm looking at price wise. How would I know if the price is a good price or not?

Description Qty Price Extended PriceTrotec Speedy 400 120 Watts• Autofocus• Laser pointer• Air Assist• 1.5” precision lens• Floor Stand• Harsh Environment Protection Kit• JobControl® X Software Package• InPack Technology Protection Package• Warranty 24 months ( subject to warranty conditions)1 $45,900.00
    Optional Items: Qty Price Extended PriceStandard Engraving Table 1 $900.00
    Vacuum TableBlack Cutting Grid 1 Included Included
    Cutting Table (Lamellas)Honeycomb Table for Vacuum TableWhite Plastic Cutting GridIntegrated Air Assist Pump – Computer Controlled 1 Included IncludedGas Kit incl. air filter unit – Computer ControlledPass-Through (machine become class IV) 1 Included IncludedRotary Attachment (Combo) 1 $1,690.00 $1,690.00
    Post Script ConverterJob Control VisionAvailable Lenses: 2.5” 1 Included Included
    Atmos Duo Plus Exhaust System
    Sub Total $48,490.00Delivery (EXW Canton, MI w/TLI Shipper)
    $950.00On-Site Installation & Training IncludedSale Amount (not including any applicable taxes)
    Total: $49,440.00

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bratton View Post
    How would get different pricing for the Trotec?

Here is what I'm looking at price wise. How would I know if the price is a good price or not?

Description Qty Price Extended PriceTrotec Speedy 400 120 Watts• Autofocus• Laser pointer• Air Assist• 1.5” precision lens• Floor Stand• Harsh Environment Protection Kit• JobControl® X Software Package• InPack Technology Protection Package• Warranty 24 months ( subject to warranty conditions)1 $45,900.00
    Optional Items: Qty Price Extended PriceStandard Engraving Table 1 $900.00
    Vacuum TableBlack Cutting Grid 1 Included Included
    Cutting Table (Lamellas)Honeycomb Table for Vacuum TableWhite Plastic Cutting GridIntegrated Air Assist Pump – Computer Controlled 1 Included IncludedGas Kit incl. air filter unit – Computer ControlledPass-Through (machine become class IV) 1 Included IncludedRotary Attachment (Combo) 1 $1,690.00 $1,690.00
    Post Script ConverterJob Control VisionAvailable Lenses: 2.5” 1 Included Included
    Atmos Duo Plus Exhaust System
    Sub Total $48,490.00Delivery (EXW Canton, MI w/TLI Shipper)
    $950.00On-Site Installation & Training IncludedSale Amount (not including any applicable taxes)
    Total: $49,440.00
    I don't see a price for the Atmos exhaust system, it that included or is the price to be determined?
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

Here is a print screen. I'm thinking it is a little high.
    Trotec.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Why would they start out high if they don't give me a good price to begin with I would go somewhere else
    I've mentioned it more than once I don't agree with the sales practices in the engraving industry. I think they're mostly counter intuitive. That said, their thinking is simple. It's more profitable to sell 1 machines a month for $15k profit than it is to sell 5 machines for $3k profit.

If you sit down in a room with a 100 people in the industry, I bet a reasonable number of them have a story where they bought a piece of equipment and later found out they paid more than they should have.
    Last edited by Ross Moshinsky; 07-13-2016 at 11:14 PM.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

A good many thousand of those dollars is in direct proportion to the 120 watt tube in it...

My thoughts-- you don't need that much power for 99% of raster engraving. An 80w tube should be plenty, and will save you what, $12-15k?

So buy an 80 watt Trotec, then take the money you saved and buy a 120 watt Chinese machine....

You'll have one of the best engraving lasers on the planet, and a 120w glass machine will cut anything just as well as a 120w anything else...

And you'll be able engrave stuff and cut stuff at the same time... something one machine will never be able to do!

---said the guy with 15 machines
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle