Thread: chain damascus socket chisel I forged

chain damascus socket chisel I forged

Continuing my attempts at blacksmithing, I hand forged this socket chisel/slick from a bicycle chain welded to an O1 steel backer. Heat treated it myself in the forge and my kitchen oven. The handle is redheart, finished with shellac and wax.

This project was inspired by the Peter Ross DVD “Blacksmithing for Woodworkers: Forging a Socket Chisel”.

Here are some more photos: http://imgur.com/a/Zh7Ww

Blog Entries
    That is totally strange to say the least.

If you ever watch American Pickers, Mike Wolf is a bicycle guy and loves things that have been repurposed. He would love something like this.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Wow, I had never even heard of "chain Damascus", but it turns out there's a whole maker subculture around it.

Oh,they make blades out of chain saw chain, and other kinds of interesting effects are done. I have seen sword blades made from chainsaw chain.

This bicycle chain looks better than the chainsaw chain "Damascus",though. Nice chisel! Those links had better be REALLY WELDED,though,and not just squashed together !!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-13-2016 at 9:09 AM.

Wow! That is very interesting work! I'll have to google this chain thing tonight. I love when people come up with creative ways to reuse and re-purpose old scrap!

Really nice work!

It looks like a many eye-d creature from Greek mythology.
    Or perhaps something a bit more demonic, even. I think it might give me nightmares if I owned it.

Very unique though! I always hope to appreciate the kind of work that went into what someone made, because I know how much work goes into what I make. It always looks a easier than it really is. And this doesn't even look easy!

It's different, for sure. I like it - looks rather medieval. And it's got a following, judging from what came up in a google search.

Couple dumb questions....... In addition to the O1 you used, is the steel in that chain something comparable to a tool steel? Something that will take and keep a nice edge? Or is the chain only for "texture"?
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-13-2016 at 9:15 PM.

Very cool concept and nice craftsmanship!

Saw this on /r/woodworking. Really neat design.

Very Cool, very cool indeed.

Regards from Perth

Derek