Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New man cave

New man cave

I normally spend time over on the spinny folks forum but thought I would share my adventure. Earlier this spring I started building a new shop while a local builder built our house on the 2.4 acres we purchased last fall. I decided I would use a metal quonset for the outer shell. I purchased a 30' x 60' building with no end walls. I hired a contractor to pour the slab for me as I was too busy at work.
    Slab heating.jpg
    The shop will have infloor heating as our winters here are quite cold.
    IMG_0738.jpg
    The build started by assembling the arches for the shell, 9 pieces per arch and 30 arches. I also bought the industrial base plates for the building which is much easier than forming a trough for the arches to sit in.
    IMG_0754.jpg
    Next it was time to erect the arches, the manufacturer's instructions were to use ropes and scaffolding to raise them. At 18' tall I thought there must be a better way to lift the arches than pulling them up on a rope while standing on scaffold. I came up with a spreader bar that attached to the bolts at the connections just above the lower bends. This allowed the use of an electric scissor lift to hoist the arches to vertical and move them into place.
    IMG_0762.jpg
    5820 bolts later we had all the arches in place.
    IMG_0768.jpgIMG_0770.jpgIMG_0774.jpg
    Next came the framing of the end walls. I chose 2x6 framing to allow for more insulation. The trick was how to attach the wood to the metal walls? I came up with a solution that used a 2x8 on edge that would be attached by screwing through the metal into the 2 x8. Once the framing was complete the walls were sheeted with 3/8" OSB. Stay tuned for Part 2 the inside......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

What a great space! Can't wait to see the inside progress.

JKJ

Part 2

IMG_0773.jpg
    With the end walls framed and sheeted it was time to focus on the partition wall that would separate the shop from the garage. I again chose 2x6s because this wall would also support a mezzanine. I built the lower portion of the wall first as the mezzanine floor would be much easier to work off than a scaffold for the upper portion.
    IMG_0778.jpg
    I built two 10 foot long walls perpendicular to the partition wall to create a washroom and mechanical room. the end walls of these would support the LAM beams that would carry the floor joists for the mezzanine. I used 2x12s for the joists. I decided to put a 2 part staircase in to conserve space. The underside of the landing will be used for large storage drawers. The mezzanine will be a storage area for my wood supply, mostly smaller pieces I use for segmented turning.
    IMG_0785.jpg
    The windows were purchased at a local habitat for humanity outlet for $675 for all three.
    IMG_0780.jpg

Stay tuned for part 3.....
    Last edited by Mike Golka; 07-13-2016 at 1:13 PM.

That is going to be a great space. I'm green with envy!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thats a cool structure. keep the pictures coming ..

Very interesting structure!!

Will you be using spray foam to insulate the "roof"??
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very jealous of that mezzanine and wished i lived close enough to learn how you built it. Congrats!

Do you have your radiant panel and boiler done or figured out. How much pex did you runand how did you insulate your pad?
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 07-24-2016 at 7:28 PM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Nicely done!!!
    Are you planning to install a wood burning stove to supplement the in floor heat.

Jim, Yes the metal part of the building will be spray foamed with 3" BASF Walltite. The guy is coming this Thur.
    Mike, There is 2.5" of styrofoam insulation under the slab. This is the 1/2" Pex layout. I have no plans for a wood burning stove.
    Golka Shop Drawing.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Golka; 07-26-2016 at 9:34 AM.

Part 3

I decided to run 12 gauge wire to all outlets to allow for 20amp plugins. The shop lighting is all LED but the garage will have T8 fluorescents. Because there is no way to conceal the wiring on the metal walls I had to run 3/4" conduit. I have 100 amp 24 circuit panel installed.
    IMG_0814.jpg
    With the electrical rough in inspection passed it was time to move on to insulating and drywalling the end and partition walls. I used R20 fiberglass batts for this.
    IMG_0816.jpgIMG_0818.jpgIMG_0819.jpg
    Next up is the garage door, it will be a 1 3/4" thick insulated Steelcraft 16' x8'. They are coming to install it tomorrow. Once the door is installed I can have the spray foam applied. I am going with 3" of BASF Walltite. The spray foam is scheduled for Thur. It's going to be a busy week at site. More pics of this weeks progress to come so stay tuned....

Looks good. I really like the ceiling height your achieving .. I am building a shop right now and went T-5 HO .. I obsessed over if I should go LED .. but in the end didn't .. Let me know what type of performance you get.

Spray Foam

Well it took a couple days longer than originally expected for the foam guys to come but they arrived yesterday morning. I spent part of the weekend preparing for them by masking and polying the walls.
    IMG_0824.jpg
    I almost forgot about the air lines so had to hurry and get them installed on Monday. I used Pex tubing which I zip tied to the electrical conduit.
    IMG_0825.jpg
    As you can see in this next picture the masking tape will make a nice clean edge to the foam when removed. I will definitely have to paint, the bright purple is just a little too much for my taste.
    IMG_0823.jpg
    The insulation will be completed today so stay tuned for more pictures after the cleanup.

Blog Entries
    How did you deal with sealing the holes where the conduit etc is screwed to the shell?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    How did you deal with sealing the holes where the conduit etc is screwed to the shell?
    Frank I used the same bolts that were supplied by the building manufacturer. They have a rubber washer on the head that seals the hole when tightened.

Very interesting building. When we built and spray foamed our house it was a very light cream color (almost like milk/cream). Probably a different product vs yours with that bright purple color.