Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New man cave

Well I haven't posted any updates for a while do to trying to get the work done and move at the same time. I forgot to take pictures of the inside before moving all my tools and household goods. The shop side is a real mess with everything stowed in the corners and the counter top pilled high. The garage side is half full of furniture and boxes. I have managed to complete siding and stone work on the exterior. Next on the work list is finish wiring the electrical panel and get the boiler for the slab heating installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

did they spray a fireproofing layer over the sprayfoam?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Stace View Post
    did they spray a fireproofing layer over the sprayfoam?
    No, the foam has a fire retardant built in. I tested it with a torch on a small sample and it would only smolder while the flame was held up to it. As soon as the flame was removed it went out immediately.

Been working on installing the heating system in the shop lately. I have an IBC SL-20-115 condensing boiler with a primary pump loop and 2 pumps to circulate 2 separate zones, the shop and garage. There is also a feeder attached to the system to allow for easy filling and maintenance of the fluid level. I decided to dry fit everything before soldering to make sure it would fit and look neat. I will finish soldering everything this weekend and test the system for leaks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Golka; 09-22-2016 at 9:27 AM.

Blog Entries
    That looks very nice, but I don't think you're going to find any onion-like root vegetables in the system

Mike, I am not familiar with the foam you have there but all the ones I've seen here have to be covered with a heat barrier (e.g. drywall) since the smoke they generate while heated can kill.
    At least the building code here wants that and the inspectors are very particular about it (we had spray foamed our house and the inspector was picky).
    There are some products that can be sprayed on top of the foam to work as the heat barrier (in place of gypsum board).

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Mike, I am not familiar with the foam you have there but all the ones I've seen here have to be covered with a heat barrier (e.g. drywall) since the smoke they generate while heated can kill.
    At least the building code here wants that and the inspectors are very particular about it (we had spray foamed our house and the inspector was picky).
    There are some products that can be sprayed on top of the foam to work as the heat barrier (in place of gypsum board).
    Mreza, you're right about having to cover the foam in a dwelling but because of the classification of my building it is not required. Although my wife would tell you I live in my shop that's not technically true. I talked with the building inspector and was very specific about the requirement to cover the foam before I had it sprayed and was assured it was not.

The closed cell spray foam used in our addition did not require covering in either the crawl space or the attic and the latter is considered conditioned space.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...