Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Did you build one?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schubert View Post
    My interest is piqued! I've never run across a bent before. For what are they typically used?

I could definitely make use of a saw bench in the future. It's on my to-do list. Just need to finish my work bench first...
    You will find plans for the bent in an article "Sawhorses" in the November/December 2009 issue of Fine Woodworking.

I have used this one for a few years. It stays on the back porch year round. I even test out a few saws..
    IMAG0151.jpg
    And I also use it to break down full sheets of plywood. Makes it easier to carry the sawn pieces down the steps to the Dungeon Shop.

Blog Entries
    So we are going to talk serious hand saw stations then:

Miter saw table.jpg

Sometimes this even comes in handy:

Shavehorse2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 07-24-2016 at 1:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    It sure looks like a shave horse to me. I've used them to build windsor chairs.

Blog Entries
    Right Lowell, now that I have mine reworked as a dumb head, I find I can use it for other things as well. One of those other chores being holding small objects for sawing, say a tool handle I am shaving into shape. Another being holding odd shaped objects for sharpening, try positioning a scorp while you sharpen it. The advantage being that I can position and reposition the object I am sawing or sharpening quickly and precisely on the PDQ. As always YMMV.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 07-24-2016 at 8:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    It is a fine looking shave horse. I can see that it holds wood for sawing. I never thought about using one for that. I've shaved a lot of chips making chair legs and spindles though.

Quote Originally Posted by John Crawford View Post
    I made a pair of the SchwarzBenches. They are very sturdy. I am forever banging my saw on the bottom cross brace and the splayed legs. I like some of the designs here where you can saw down the center of the bench.

(Image from Popular Woodworking)

Attachment 340835

I made a pair of those as well, and I have the same problem with my 26" saws. So I use my 20" saws as much as possible. I am thinking about making the one that Tom Fidgen has in his book. Problem is my wife wants too many other things first.

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/125305

I also built two. One Schwartz style. The second one was copied from the feature article in the Work magazine from August 15, 1891. This is a from a blog over at Tools for Working Wood.

I still need to take 1/2" off of the second one. Not a big deal, but awkward with shorter boards.

OK, I can cross this off the list.

image.jpg

That came out very nice! Let us know how you like it after you use it for a spell.

I don't have one of just the sawbench, but it's at least no blocked in this shot. I ran out of scrap 2x4, so it got two legs on one end and one leg on the other. As an added bonus, it sits pretty well on uneven ground if necessary. Since my shop is so small (you can see all of the working space in the photo), the sawbench gets used as a seat, sawbench, and assembly table, and does a pretty good job at all of those.

That said, I'll probably put four legs on the next one I build. This sometimes gets a little wobbly if I put too much pressure on the wrong end.

My tiny shop. by a_mckenzie_4, on Flickr