Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did you build one?

Blog Entries

Did you build one?

A saw bench that is. I did, it looks a lot like this one. I would not be without it.

sawbench.png

It's my next project Lowell. I've convinced myself sawing at bench height isn't doing me any favors. And my wife thinks I'm nuts when she finds me perched on top of my bench
    I'm considering a similar design, or the split top one.

Just finished a bench and bent based on Vic Tesolin's Minimalist Woodworker. Fun and quick to build, I still need to actually use them. In any event, I'm sure they're better than the bucket and board bench I've been using

I actually prefer a sawbuck with a couple personal touches to it, it's one of the best things I've ever made.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    I would love to see pictures folks.

Here are a couple of my saw benches:

5-10-15° Benches.jpg

The little one on the right stays in the house and is mostly used as a foot stool. The excess wood at the joints on the top has been removed.

Here is my build thread on building a saw bench:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Table-Project

I built what I call a bucking horse for sawing limbs and firewood. It is at the front right in my last image in the thread.

Whether one prefers straight legs or splayed legs it is good practice for the joinery and a useful addition to the shop. Mine get used for sitting almost as often as for sawing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I built three of the Schwarz style. Love them. I don't have a picture, but they are all varying sizes and stack/nest together and fit under the short bench overhang

SDC15807.jpg
    Build this about 2 years ago......comes in handy.

My saw bench and bent
    image.jpg

My interest is piqued! I've never run across a bent before. For what are they typically used?

I could definitely make use of a saw bench in the future. It's on my to-do list. Just need to finish my work bench first...

I think this is something that could only happen to somebody with small children, but when I saw this what immediately flashed through my head was:

"Did you build one in a house? Did you build one with a mouse...?"

Blog Entries
    I could definitely make use of a saw bench in the future. It's on my to-do list.
    You will discover it is best to have two. Whether you are ripping or crosscutting it is good to have support for the work at both ends or crosscut cutoffs.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    You will discover it is best to have two. Whether you are ripping or crosscutting it is good to have support for the work at both ends or crosscut cutoffs.

jtk
    I agree, it is easy to make 'em stacking so the foot print is that of a single but whatever, they work best in pairs. Photos to follow.

ken

Blog Entries
    I use mine a good deal. I just need to finish the second one:

Simple Sawbench.jpg

Mine is also a Schwarz design. The first exercise in "The Anarchist's Design Book". Sturdier than it looks. I stand on it frequently. Comfortable to sit on too.

No sawing bench. But,I did build 2 oak saw horses that someone made into plans that are available on the Woodcraft site as "Williamsburg saw horses". When stood on end,they stand up straight,and are the same height of the work bench. Thus I could use them to support real long boards while I cut them to length.

Blog Entries
    Here is another sawhorse from the old woodworking news group.

Sawhorse.jpg