Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did you build one?

Stacking Saw Benches:

They work better built in pairs.

ken

I've built one many years ago and I hardly use it. Only for >4ft long ripcut. Otherwise it's in the vice.

Blog Entries
    DSC07873.JPGDSC07872.JPG

Here are two horses I made. You've probably seen the small one. I have two that I use for wood that I am working with. I'm amazed at the load they will support.

The other horse is handy and it will hold the world. It is good for making strange cuts on a board.

Jim,you ask for pictures. You got pictures.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-16-2016 at 9:02 AM.

yep you can see there in the background of this shot:
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Found this design on the web. I'll try to find out who came up with it and give them credit later (http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/view...ved-saw-bench/). I really don't know how I ever worked without it! All scrap 2x6 taken out of a construction dumpster near work. Dovetails and mortise and tenon joinery with some drawbore pins to boot! No nails or screws and this is and has been rock solid for three years!

20160715_190357.JPG

20160715_190500.JPG
    Last edited by Thomas Schneider; 07-15-2016 at 7:27 PM. Reason: Added link to saw bench designers website.

Thomas, thats the one I'm considering. A step by step build video is also at billyslittlebench.com

What is a 'bent' used for?

Not one but two

Technically these don't qualify for a number of reasons. 1) They aren't really saw benches; 2) They were built using power tools; 3) While I have two in my shop, I only made one of them. My oldest son made the other as a 4-H project. For years we used his as an end table in the family room.

My wife finally got tired of it in the house, so I moved it to the shop where it is appreciated. This was his first and only 4-H woodworking project. He told me years later, after he graduated from high school, that he wished I had made him stick with woodworking all through 4-H. His younger brothers are now benefiting from his regrets. I am less sympathetic to their complaining armed with their big brother's new found appreciation.

These little benches are great. They were made out of #2 pine though. They've held up for 17 years, but some day I'll make a real saw bench.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lenore Epstein View Post
    What is a 'bent' used for?
    It's used exactly like a second saw bench, but with a lot less work to make and less room to store

What's the purpose of the v-notch in them? For drilling?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Lester View Post
    What's the purpose of the v-notch in them? For drilling?
    It can be used for that. It also comes in handy when rip cutting.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I made a pair of the SchwarzBenches. They are very sturdy. I am forever banging my saw on the bottom cross brace and the splayed legs. I like some of the designs here where you can saw down the center of the bench.

(Image from Popular Woodworking)

sawbench2010_IMG_8490-1.jpg

Blog Entries
    http://lumberjocks.com/projects/80805

Actually the term bent refers to a Krenov design for a small saw horse. I have made two.
    They are remarkably strong, not at all flimsy.

Fine Woodworking had an article about making them.

Here is my "saw bench". Built it out of what I had on hand because I needed it right now. It's 15 or so years old and was not intended for a long life. It has survived and gets used on most jobs around the house, not just saw work.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ala Schwarz. His design is faulty the legs need to be attached to top with screws/plugs or dowels because it is a xgrain glue. Or use epoxy.
    I built have another except one without a notch.

sawhorse.JPG