Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just one stop on a road trip this morning..

Just one stop on a road trip this morning..

Budget for today said I could only spend $10 Sooooo.
    IMAG0001.jpg
    I have $1.75 leftover....
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Plane is a #3 size. The short Yankee will need a few bits, and a shifter
    IMAG0003.jpg
    Brace seems to be a 6" sweep. Spent a quarter on it. I also bought a pair of "V" belts for my drill press, @ $1 each

Only made one stop, had places to go, GrandBRATS to pick up. Maybe tomorrow I can sneak out for a few more stops?

Items are doing a Simple Green soaking right now, may need the PBBlaster and the WD 40.......Plane and the brace were out of a moldy, old cellar, part of an estate sale...

Good thing you stopped.

Any of the grandbrats with prospects to become shoprats?

None, yet.

Ok, The #3 is a Fulton by Sargent. have it about all cleaned up. The two Yankees? No. 130A and No. 131 A.....smaller one will need a shifter, and a few bits. Might be able to make a bit or two.

The 6" brace had some dry rot in the center handle. Top handle is locked up..have it soaking up some PBBlaster. The ratchet parts are also frozen, letting it soak awhile. Jaws look like aligator jaws, with a pin as a hinge. Have had the chuck apart, and cleaned up. Might take a while.

Picked a pair of "V" belts, hoping they are close to the size I need for the drill press.

Going out and about in the morning, and see what is out there.

I have to live through you, Steve. Just not good pickins in my neck of the woods.

Ok, finally took a tape measure to that brace..
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Bummer, just another 8" Barber chucked brace. The ratchet works are still locked up. have it soaking in PB.

Now, about that #3 plane..
    IMAG0003.jpg
    Appears to be a Fulton. I replaced the destroyed rear handle with another.
    IMAG0005.jpg
    BIG adjuster wheel, seems to be a steel one. Fulton is stamped into the iron
    IMAG0006.jpg
    Along with Warranteed, right above the round hole above the slot. Not sure what model number this was.
    IMAG0004.jpg
    Not too bad, for a dollar?

"Watson! The Game is a-foot!"

More to follow? We'll see......

Hard to believe I spent $16 on this?
    IMAG0001.jpg
    And $3 of that was for the eggbeater drill! Ah...but what about that $13 Tool box?
    IMAG0002.jpgIMAG0003.jpg
    A $2 straight jawed pair of visegrips and a couple more Yankee drills @ $0.50 each..
    IMAG0004.jpg
    As for the two braces..they did have a few bits for them..
    IMAG0005.jpg
    That long bit does have a slight bend in the shaft, it can be straightened out. Lufkin zig-zag ruler, wrenches, screwdrivers ( about half are OLD Stanleys) pop rivets, an almost full dispenser of utility blades, a 1940s Williams 1/4" ratchet. There is several LAYERS of stuff down in there. Might be a few days, before a full inventory is done.

Eggbeater will need some work.....was able to read a "New YorK" Germany" below a long name. They glued the cap on, of course. Everything seems to work on it, though. not drilled and tapped for a side handle. Will try to get it all cleaned up.

Sitting here with a Coney Island Brewery Root Beer.....I am pooped...

Granlt Tool co. is the name on the eggbeater drill.

Found a Snap On ratchet.....L-70...Patent applied for......have it cleaned up and ready to go. Spare wood handle seems to be for a ball pean hammer. The claw hammer's a bigger end. Full inventory when I can get one done.....there was even a box of "t" hinges in there.
    Pair of pliers: "Sevenstrand" cast into each arm. Appears to be a wire twister sort of thing...

Bits: The LONG one is an 11 size...can barely make out Irwin.....Reg. USA Pat....

A size 16: no name, double spiral (?)fine thread on end
    Another size 16: double flutes coarse threads..."Plisto" Made in usa
    Final size 16: Single flute Greenlee No.22 is stamped on shaft.

Not sure IF any are "good" bits.....all seem to be sharp.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 07-16-2016 at 4:39 PM.

I live in the Denver metro area, a very poor one for antique tool picking. Most all that was here 100 or more years ago was mining camps and ranches. With no need for any decent woodworking, there were no tools being used.

In the midst of all those rusty tools....a green cardboard box was found. Inside was an all-metal syringe, like they used to use back in the 50s.....BIG needle, too..

Got to thinking, I don't NEED that sitting around in MY house, or shop. Closed the box back up, put on me hat, and walked the two blocks down to the Police station.....and turned it in to them. I figure they can dispose of it, better than some of my neighbors would...didn't even want to toss it into the trash.....afraid someone would find it there.

On a brighter note: That pair of pliers with "Sevenstrands" cast onto the handles? Old style leader crimper.....belongs in a tackle box, instead of a tool box. And,.....I don't fish.

Blog Entries
    In the midst of all those rusty tools....a green cardboard box was found. Inside was an all-metal syringe, like they used to use back in the 50s.....BIG needle, too..
    Too late now, but those are good for precision oilers. Some people will grind the needle flat and use them for putting glue in place for string inlay.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    A size 16: no name, double spiral (?)fine thread on end
    Take a look at those 'fine threads' on the end. Often they are double threads which means not that fine.

It is amazing all the places I have found names on a bit. Some didn't show up until the tang was cleaned.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The one #16's threads are a little too worn down. Same with the outside cutting spurs. I can see why he had a couple of these biggie bits....he'd wear one out, and just buy a new one. Another one, single flute, has just one spur. But, at least the teeth are sharp. Rather a bit coarse threaded. The newest one, is at least an inch longer than the first two. Lots of room between the flutes. Threads look good, again, coarse threaded. It does have both spurs...

Need to clean up a few braces from the last two days....and a ton of other goodies. Not too sure about the box itself, whether it will be worth rehabbing, or not. It was supposed to have a tray.....lost somewhere along the way, I guess.

S L O W L Y working my way through that tool box.....

So far...
    IMAG0001.jpg
    I. COES Pat. and a smaller thing..
    IMAG0003.jpg
    A few pliers....
    IMAG0005.jpg
    The yellow handle is hollow. all the way through..
    IMAG0007.jpg
    Since there was two braces in the box, I guess these went with them..
    IMAG0008.jpg
    A few screwdrivers.....
    IMAG0009.jpg
    Sorry, these were the only chisels I found..
    IMAG0012.jpg
    Couple of hammers. The claw hammer is a Champion brand, not too sure about the ball pean.
    IMAG0011.jpg
    Big tool box means big wrenches, right?
    Still have some other things lurking in the bottom of the tool box.....I am NOT grabbing in there without a light...

Might just get my $13 worth out that yard sale....