Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just one stop on a road trip this morning..

BTW: there was even a yard sale today....
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Dollar a piece on the two walnut slabs.....short one is over 12" wide, by 4/4 by 48"
    IMAG0002.jpg
    The longer one is 8/4. Maybe 7' long..
    IMAG0003.jpg
    top edge
    IMAG0004.jpg
    bottom edges. long bong has some live edge going on..
    IMAG0005.jpg
    I think I can find a use for this rough sawn stuff......$2 wasn't too bad a price...

Of the three braces picked over the weekend, the non-ratcheting one has been IDed as a Millers Falls No.22. On the one arm, there is a "No. 22" stamped. The Improved Barber chuck, ball bearing head, and rings inside the side handle. Still trying to ID the other two braces.

As for that eggbeater drill...Handle is stamped as a GranLt Tool Comp. of New York Germany. One drive gear, three jaw chuck, frame is shaped like either a "Milk Bottle" or the number "8". Was NOT drilled for a side handle. Has the cap on the top, but it was glued in place at one time. Top handle fits into a "socket" at the end of the frame. Main drive wheel has three pairs of spokes. Appears the wood top handle is threaded into the frame.

Slowly working my way through all of thr treasure from last weekend's sales. Spent less than $30 over three days......Was kind of fun....

Pictures of the above drills, anyone?
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Two 10 " sweeps and a 8" sweep..
    IMAG0003.jpg
    and the eggbeater..
    IMAG0005.jpg
    Three very different chucks....center one may be a holdall?
    IMAG0007.jpg
    details of the eggbeater. It is either "Granit" or Granlt as the name of the tool Comp. Frame at one time was japanned black, maybe 20% left of that. Crank handle looks like a chef's hat....
    Still trying to id most of these, other than the No. 22 by Millers Falls.

May have to start putting some of this "treasure" onto that auction site.......twould be nice to ID them before that.

Maybe then, I can find a few bits for those Yankee Screwdrivers? The BIG one has one bit, but none of the others do. May need to find out what size tips these used.....My #133H does not fit any of them, too small...

OK, after a trip to the shop...the tip from the Handyman No.133H will fit just fine in the Stanley Yankee No. 135A. So, all I need to find are a few for the No.130A and .....maybe a spring to add to the 130A? The BIG one is a No.131A and even it's flat bladed screwdriver tip has YANKEE 31 H stamped on it...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 07-19-2016 at 1:59 PM.

Well, everything is about refurbbed up.....which leaves that tool box itself. May just get out the sanders, and then maybe a primer? Then maybe a coat or two of Black Rustoleum Gloss?

Box is a large one...9-1/2 tall, by8-1/2 front to back, by 21-1/2" long...still looking to see if a name plate is on it...

paper "floor covering" was an ad for Rinks Department Stores' Labor Day sales......September of 1982...Been in there awhile...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 07-19-2016 at 5:39 PM.

Looks like you purchased a lot of bang for your buck.

In some circles..I am called...Bandit. Sometimes you get there too early.....sometimes you come back and help clean out a few things. All a matter of timing. It is nice that when I open the door of my van, I can smell the rust all the way to the curb, when I pull up at a sale.....

Ok, the twins aka Stanley Yankee No.130A now have bits they can use. I found some longer screwdriver bits, like they use in a drill/driver. A bit of work with the grinder to the end of the bits. These already have a "Notch" , except it goes all the way around. I reground the end to match what the Yankee tips have for an end notch. Test fit worked out nicely. Now both of the 130As have phillips bits. Working on get a few slotted tips made up. The #135A needs a few smaller shanked bits, I happen to have a few "spare" screwdrivers......might try to see which can be cut down and reground. Hey, not being cheap, it is called being frugal...

Bandit...that non-ratcheting brace looks a lot like my Victor No.966, but the pad and barrel ferrules are different. Enjoy!

Also down inside that tool box...
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Stanley No. 904 Light steel T hinges. 4" ones. In original box.
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Label on the box says 1 dozen pairs.....I only found 10 hinges.
    IMAG0003.jpg
    Not sure what that wire was for....wonder what a box goes for nowadays....

Hinges MIGHT be useful to hang doors on shop cabinets. Could have used these when I built that Stanley No. 888 style tool box. A little shaping with a grinder.....

I wonder IF these even came with the screws?

Need to get out a mini-torch, have a few stuck parts on one of the braces...
    IMAG0002.jpg
    That 8" sweep one ( paid $0.50 for) the top knob and the selector are but froze up. The chuck works just fine. The sweep handle has a bit of dry rot. Might fill in the voids on it, as well. The other two braces work just fine, though.