Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adding drawers to a bathroom vanity - Help please!

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Roger, which specific GF product are you talking about? I've never found any of their water borne products to be soft, and I've used HP Poly, EnduroVar, and Enduro Clear Poly. All are hard. But Enduro Clear Poly is the hardest and also very abrasion resistant. Either you used a different product from those I've, though I can't think of which one it would be, or you put it on a soft substrate, or you didn't apply it where the temp. was high enough for the product to cure correctly. If the PolyWhey is harder than the GF products then it's one hard product.

John
    I was at Woodcraft and I picked up a can of Arm-R-Seal Oil & Urethane Topcoat from General Finishes. Is this what I should be using for finish these drawer boxes? Anyone used this and will it work for my bathroom vanity pullouts? The Woodcraft salesman recommended this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    I was at Woodcraft and I picked up a can of Arm-R-Seal Oil & Urethane Topcoat from General Finishes. Is this what I should be using for finish these drawer boxes? Anyone used this and will it work for my bathroom vanity pullouts? The Woodcraft salesman recommended this.
    Mike, I would not use an oil based varnish for drawers inside a cabinet. It will stink like varnish for weeks/months - really. Arm-R-Seal is a great product for the outside of cabinets, but not for the insides, especially any that you want to put clothes, towels, linen, etc. in.

The most durable product I've found for drawer boxes is GF's EnduroVar; that's what's on the drawers in the photo I posted above. I put a coat of Sealcoat shellac on first, and then two coats of EnduroVar. In a week or so, the odor is completely gone. GF's Enduro Clear Poly is another excellent choice.

John

+1 on John's advice - another GF product that I like and is very durable for drawers is High Performance. Its a clear finish so won't give you the slight amber tint that you get from Endurovar

Andy, John,
    Thanks for the advice on the finish. I'll return the Arm-R-Seal to Woodcraft and check out the other options you've mentioned.

I just wanted to follow up on this project for SWMBO. I'm one of those guys who feel we have to have the details all worked out in our heads to get started. So between that, another volunteer at The Gila, and the holidays I didn't get started in earnest until January and finished last week. I want to thank everyone for the advice. It was very helpful and much appreciated. I love the GF High Performance topcoat! This was the exact finish I was hoping for. These aren't perfect but only you and I know that. SWMBO is absolutely delighted. Now she thinks I'm a cabinet maker! ;-) More tools and wood for projects coming my way!! I ended up making the box joint jig from William Ng. Took a couple of tries to get it right but I love it. It's repeatable and spot on! And now, some pics...Thanks again!!!

IMG_4039.jpgIMG_4041.jpgIMG_4042.jpg