Thread: Veritas Plow Plane?

Veritas Plow Plane?

Anyone have one? How does it do on short-ish boards (less than 10 inches long, or 6 inches wide)?

Am I wanting it to do things that will not work?

Blog Entries
    There was supposed to be one circulating around for folks to try. It got delayed and currently there are other concerns before the round robin plane gets back on track.

As soon as it comes my way I will give it a try on short pieces and long pieces.

When you ask about a piece 6" wide do you mean to plow a slot 6" from the edge?

for a practical note, I have done short pieces with other plow planes it would be strange for a plow plane not to be able to work on small pieces.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    There was supposed to be one circulating around for folks to try. It got delayed and currently there are other concerns before the round robin plane gets back on track.

As soon as it comes my way I will give it a try on short pieces and long pieces.

When you ask about a piece 6" wide do you mean to plow a slot 6" from the edge?

for a practical note, I have done short pieces with other plow planes it would be strange for a plow plane not to be able to work on small pieces.

jtk

Thanks Jim. I meant using it on boards 6 inches long, not 6" from the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Cunningham View Post
    Thanks Jim. I meant using it on boards 6 inches long, not 6" from the edge.
    I have one. In my experience 6" is sufficient for the skate[s] and fence to register. I wouldn't want to go much lower though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Cunningham View Post
    Anyone have one? How does it do on short-ish boards (less than 10 inches long, or 6 inches wide)?

Am I wanting it to do things that will not work?
    How about grooving a little under 3" long x 1 1/2" wide?

The piece below is 7" long ...

The grooves were for a small drawer in a lap desk ...

For small pieces, use a sticking board.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    I have one. In my experience 6" is sufficient for the skate[s] and fence to register. I wouldn't want to go much lower though.
    Agree with this. Most of the time if possible it is easier to do the plowing or beading on longer pieces then cut them to size.

If a lot of small pieces are to be done it is easier to make what is called a sticking board. More information from Dr. Google > sticking board <.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

7. Derek, would you mind sharing some more photos of that workholding jig? I often struggle with figuring out how to hold narrow parts to plow grooves or cut rabbets and it seems you have a solution.

-s

Hi Stephen

No problem. The details are on my website under "Adjustable Sticking Board". The link is ..

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...kingBoard.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Here's the first Google result I got: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...bodger’s-mitts

It sounds like a simple workholding device made of a board of an appropriate length (several feet for moldings, maybe a foot or two for your 6" pieces) with a fence along one edge and a stop at one end to keep the workpiece from sliding away.

The nice thing about Derek's adjustable design is that the plane's fence can hang over the side of the board. I'd have lost the excessive length on those carriage bolts though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Belair View Post
    The nice thing about Derek's adjustable design is that the plane's fence can hang over the side of the board. I'd have lost the excessive length on those carriage bolts though.
    The long bolts have since gone. That was an early picture. This is a recent photo ...

The bolts are well out of the way.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Stephen

No problem. The details are on my website under "Adjustable Sticking Board". The link is ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

I thank you you for the response. My credit card may not be so happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Stephen

Regards from Perth

Derek
    That's a neat design, Derek. I left the site right after submitting my post, so I didn't even notice that you'd already replied.