Thread: Tangential turning

Tangential turning

I am very interested in this type of turning but it is like hitting a brick wall. Two articles the the AAW magazine and a utube video by Alex Amoruso. In his video he shows a sled without explanation and does not show the sled to the camera, so one can only guess how it operates. To me it looks like a taper jig.

Is there anyone out there with knowledge of tangential turning or the jigs involved, or how I could get in contact with Alex. The video was shot in Rhode Island turner meeting but no other info do I have.

Any help would be very appreciated

Thank you in advance

Did you locate the Aug '14 American Woodturner article referred to in the newsletter PDF?

JKJ

An old listing for Alex lists his email as alexa@verizon.net.
    Send me an email if you want a copy of the Rhode Island newsletter that had some notes about Alex's tangential turnings.
    Bernie Feinerman

Quote Originally Posted by bernard feinerman View Post
    An old listing for Alex lists his email as alexa@verizon.net.
    Send me an email if you want a copy of the Rhode Island newsletter that had some notes about Alex's tangential turnings.
    Bernie Feinerman
    Bernie I don't have your E-mail address but my E-mail is papaofjej@charter.net, if you would send me the info you have, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks Dean

Until I looked up the Aug, '14 issue of American Woodturner I thought "tangential turning" referred to the way some high production automatic wood lathes turn spindles. In that case the cutter has the pattern ground into it. The cutting is done tangential to the workpiece, basically peeling the stock away until the diameter is reached. Thin veneers for plywood, etc are cut using a tangential process.

I would describe the process more as tangential segment "gluing" rather than turning. A neat process though.

Here's a graphic I made of what tangential turning (gluing) is all about.

At the right is a segment cut at 45 degrees. Make eight of those and glue them at a tangent to a central core.

By adding a contrasting veneer between the segments you get a nice pattern in the turned piece.

tangential.JPG

I've been doing this for over a decade.
    This sled is made at 22.5 degrees. All that one would need to do is set that angle for different angles to increase or reduce the number of angles.
    The single most important thing I learned is that one angle has to be 90 degrees.
    Here are a couple of images of the results and a jig I made to safely cut staves for the process:

OATS1.jpgoats2.jpgSled1.jpg
    Change One Thing

Have you watched the seg-easy sled videos? There are a series of u-tube videos on making the sled and using it to make segments with a whole world of opportunities. It makes the making of segments easy and perfect fits every time, even with tangent angles and even compound angles. The sled is amazing and so simple to make, I made mine in about an hour and a half.

I GOT SOMETHING WRONG:
    There is one 90 on this iteration and the other angles are each 45 degrees, NOT the 22.5 that I originally stated - (brain fart)

Other examples - 6 segment or 12 segment would be 90/60/30. The 3090 orientation would require 12 staves. the 60/90 would require only six staves.
    Change One Thing