Thread: OK To Wait Before Applying Finish?

OK To Wait Before Applying Finish?

Sorry for the cross-post, but got no replies in the turner's forum...I don't have a separate finishing area in my shop, and I will be doing the finish turning on about 100+ rough-turned bowls and platters over the next several weeks. I am going to be using several different finishes, as folks like variety - some WDO, some lacquer, some shellac only and some wax only.

It would be more efficient for me to complete the turning and finish sanding first before turning to applying finishes, but then many pieces might sit, already finish-sanded, for several weeks before I got around to the various finish treatments. Do I need have concern about leaving pieces like this for weeks? Problems with oxidation on surface? End grain popping or receding? Thanks in advance....

I can't see that there would be any issues as long as the storage location is the same temp and rh as the future location of the pieces. So if they are designed to sit in an air conditioned house as a final location, around 72F and 50RH for storage. If the wood is prone to change from daylight/sunlight (Cherry for example) this would also be a factor to take into account

As Andy said, they should be ok in a stable environment away from light. At worst you may need to give them a light sand with fine paper before you apply the finish. It's what I do but it may be just a habit. Cheers

The only downside that I can think of to waiting is that wood movement may, on some pieces, make them difficult to finish "on the lathe" if you like to apply while spinning. Otherwise, if they are stored properly as others have indicated, you should be fine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you're going to put BLO or tung oil as a first step on any of them, I would do that right after sanding so that it will be good and cured when ready to finish.

Thanks, all