Thread: Best Doweling Jig for T-joints (Shelves to Uprights, etc.)

Best Doweling Jig for T-joints (Shelves to Uprights, etc.)

Any recommendations?

Blog Entries
    I have the Jessem Dowel Jig and I have not used it for the application that you are talking about, but you can see on this video how to do it with this jig.

http://www.jessemdirect.com/JessEm_D...master-kit.htm
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I have been a tightwad all my life,try my best to only spend just enough to be by.But after having a few of these jigs over the yrs I have finally purchase the last one I will ever need.For what I paid for this a person can just about buy a small table saw or a craftsman tool box,etc,etc,etc.But I wanted one that is spot on each and every time I use it,one that is flexible and be able to make several different joints and that is well made.So here it is but before you look set down visualize that money is no object when it comes to our tools------ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM2EXCC0Uzo
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 07-18-2016 at 6:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    It's not a doweling jig, but have you considered getting a Kreg jig to make your T-joints. Two pocket holes and screws will make a joint that is abot as strong as a dowel joint in less time.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-19-2016 at 8:14 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

This is one application where biscuit joiners shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    This is one application where biscuit joiners shine.

I agree with Bruce.
    You can buy a couple of good quality biscuit joiners for what that dowel jig costs. Sorry, but I'm no fan of dowels. They require too much precise alignment, even with the expensive Dowelmax to suit me. Dowels have their place, but this application isn't it. Biscuits don't require the precise alignment and the biscuit slots allow for slight spacing errors without affecting the assembly. I use a straight edge clamp for vertical positioning of the biscuit joiner and just slide the joiner along this straight edge, plunging it at each mark that I've made for biscuit position. I can be off 1/4" horizontally when cutting a biscuit slot and the joint will still fit together well.

Charley

Blog Entries
    I have tried several joinery techniques. I think the Domino would be an excellent choice, but I could never justify the cost.

My first choice is the Jessem Dowel Jig.

Second choice is the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig.

My mortiser and my biscuit joiner have not been used in several years. I can not remember when I used either one of these tools.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Blog Entries
    Here's a link to some interesting reading regarding the type of joints the OP is interested in making. Joint tests The tester used a relatively soft wood (it appears to be pine furring strips) for his tests, which would compress somewhat under the screw heads. I wonder how the joints would stack up if the same joints were tested made from hardwood.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for all the responses everyone. They'll give me plenty to consider. And Von, thanks so much for your service to our country, such as it is at the moment.

John