Thread: Stanley # 4 1/2

Question Stanley # 4 1/2

I visited a bigger fleamarket Sunday and one of the sellers had an English Stanley #4 1/2 for $40. He wasn't into bargaining. But how handy are are the #4 1/2 ? I have #3s,#4s, and #5s.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Selinger View Post
    I visited a bigger fleamarket Sunday and one of the sellers had an English Stanley #4 1/2 for $40. He wasn't into bargaining. But how handy are are the #4 1/2 ? I have #3s,#4s, and #5s.
    You will love the 4 1/2 if you buy it. I would have left the market with it.

Blog Entries
    At $40 it may have come home with me, if it was in good condition.

I have a #4-1/2. It is nice, but it doesn't get used as often as my #3. If a narrow piece can be smoothed full width with the #4-1/2 then it gets used.

A lot of it depends on your own working style.

At that price you may have been able to make a small profit if you are into that sort of thing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The best predictor of how you'll like it is probably how you use the #3 vs the #4.

If you like the #3 (1.75" blade) a lot and find the #4 (2" blade) to be work, then you almost certainly won't like the #4-1/2 (2-3/8" blade) as it's a bigger step up from the 4 than the 4 is from the 3.

OTOH if you just use the #3 for small work and find the #4 easy to use and handle, then you'll probably find the #4-1/2 to be useful.

I wouldn't pay any attention to other peoples' preferences about stuff like this (though FWIW I love my 4-1/2s) because it's so individual. Whether person X likes a 4-1/2 is completely irrelevant to you unless you're quite sure that you share similar constraints (strength etc) and preferences with them. If not then it's just random noise.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 07-18-2016 at 7:04 PM.

Yup. Definitely a style and preference thing. I hardly ever use my 4 1/2-sized plane. I prefer my #3 and #4 instead. But at $40, I'd be inclined to buy it and try it out. If you don't like it, resell it for $25-$30 and consider the loss an educational expense. (Seriously.)

Good luck.
    Fred

A 4 1/2 in good condition, and early (maybe type 11) would go for a lot more than $40. If it meets that criteria, grab it and resell it if you don't like it. You won't lose any money.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

It was English, I would date in the '60s or '70s, the Stanley had the yellow background and knob and handle were merely hardwood.It didn't look used,nor did it cry out "attack the ATM". He didn't bargain, so I'll check next week.

It was English, I would date in the '60s or '70s, the Stanley had the yellow background and knob and handle were merely hardwood.It didn't look used,nor did it cry out "attack the ATM". He didn't bargain, so I'll check next week.
    IMO, pass. That's not what most folks would describe as "good Stanley".

Yes ^ The 50's was the beginning of the so called "Stanley downgrade".
    Just something to keep in mind. Doesn't mean its unusable or not worth the $40 tho.
    I prefer to upgrade the plane/cap iron but you don't have to.

As for my 4 1/2 (not a Stanley), I like the extra width and weight.
    Its turned out to be my "go to" plane for final smoothing.