Thread: Ladder desk

Ladder desk

Sharing my latest project: a ladder desk. It's a small workstation for my wife in my home office and the bin is for laptop/notebook storage.

Zebra wood veneer, Sapele sides, shelves and edge. I really wanted tight corners and continuous grain lines of the veneer around them, so I first veneered the inside of the box, then assembled the box using butt joints, then veneered the outside of the box.
    Finished with 2 coats of Danish oil (+1 for the desk) and then 2 coats of wipe-on satin poly.
    I am also attaching a very rough sketchup file. The measurements are generally correct, however I chose to do an 8 degree angle (vs 7 in the file) and the result is an extremely stable desk.

I will add a shout-out to Jay Bates - there are a lot of exact-width dado jigs out there, but I really like his design, which I used for this project (http://jayscustomcreations.com/2014/...uter-dado-jig/).

pic1.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpg

Ladder desk.skp
    Last edited by Guy Dotan; 07-18-2016 at 10:45 PM.

Very nice ! Is this the veneered box from that other thread you posted about veneering before or after mitering? How did it the veneering work out? I think I remember you were ironing on the veneer from dried PVA. Did you cut the mortices in the ladder stringers with the miter guage on the T-saw?
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Elegant. Solidly leaning and beautifully lean. Like something a rich Shaker would buy!

Yes it is the same box . Took a while! I decided to use butt joints for the assembly of the box and then veneer after assembly. I used Titebond II, iron-on method (a uniform layer of glue on both sides using a roller, waited to fully dry and then ironed on Cotton setting). Worked amazingly well and was fairly easy to align the Zebra wood grain lines around the corners.
    I only cut the bottom of the ladder rails using the miter gauge, at 8 degrees. The dados' start line was measured from the bottom and then cut using a handheld router and Jay Bates' jig: http://jayscustomcreations.com/2014/...uter-dado-jig/. Having a digital protractor would have helped... but it turned out just fine.
    The (back of the) top post that connects the 2 rails was also cut at 8 degrees on the table saw, so it sits flush against the wall.