Thread: planning for a new workshop

planning for a new workshop

My wife and I have decided to move to rural area and I will receive a new stand alone workshop, this will happen within next 2-3 months.

My current workshp is 6m x 9m, and it is already too small, I have to store my stock in a 2m x 4m container behind my shed. I am going to put the timber in the new shed rather than in a container.

Got a few question
    1. How do you plan the operation area for a new workshop?
    2. The new workshop is to be a rectangular shape of 6m-8m (18'-24') wide, and 15m-20m(45'-60') long with total area between 120m2 to 160m2 (1300-1700 sqft), Is there a magic formula to decide floor area needed? such as 50% of the floor area has to be traffic area? if I use machine operating footprint x 2, will this give me sufficient ratio for operating/work area vs "traffic" area?

other requirement:
    Area for enclosed spraybooth (3m x 3m?),
    The dust extractor and compressor will be outside the proposed workshop
    A display room(3m x 4m ) for my product

Any thoughts/feedback/comment welcomed.

Very difficult to answer this as it somewhat depends on what type of work you do (large carcases, cabinets, bookcases vs. smaller pieces of furniture, for example).
    In the former case you might need a couple assembly tables, which can take up quite a bit of space.

I think you will have plenty of room. I don't know of any formulas about traffic. I generally figure a minimum of 3' of space around any machine, although some machines can be places back to back for example, a jointer/planer or a couple bandsaws. You also want to work out a general flow of materials from storage to milling to assembly area.

General ideas for me were keep the milling machines in one area. Machines like drum sanders and cabinet saws are most difficult to collect, so keep them fairly close to the DC.

Having the dust and compressor machines outside the shop is a fantastic thing for no reason other than keeps the noise down.

My main shop area is about 1000 SF. It houses a 4x8 assembly table, 20" planer, 8" jointer, 16" drum sander, cabinet saw with 50" ext table and outfeed table, 19" bandsaw, 12" bandsaw, lathe, radial arm saw bench, large workbench, sharpening area, and all the other etc's. I'm telling you this not to brag about my tools, but to tell you the area is pretty full of machines. I certainly don't have room for another assembly table.

I also have a 12x12 wood storage room, a 14x16 studio (air conditioned with workbench and hand tool storage), and a 16X20 mechanical shop area which houses my compressor, grinders, and lots of other stuff related to farming.

I strongly recommend an office/studio type room where you can do some dust free work such as finishing, designing, etc.

There are many sources for workshop layout on the web. Good luck.

Robert is correct... "Your" workflow needs and habits are going to affect best machine placement. In general, milling and cutting in one area so that you can conveniently and easily move between operations is a good idea. In my shop, the J/P and slider are oriented so they are complimentary in that respect, since "most" of the material machining happens in a "flatten, thickness and then cut to size/shape" progression. So think about the work you do; the steps you take and plan for what's best for you. Personally, I feel the ideal shop has machining in one area and assembly/hand work in another area if space allows...with finishing in a dedicated space or a "temporarily dedicated space" between those other areas if need be. If I were able to make some changes to my own shop, I'd move a few things to be more supportive of that goal knowing what I know now over a decade and a half later.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've never heard anyone complain that their workshop was too big :-)

You could get the recommended footprint sizes of your machines and lay those out with passageways between them. Any gear with sliding tables such as panel saws, spindle moulders, etc have a large footprint as do machines with an entry/exit side like jointers and thicknessers. I'm sure I could fill up 10m x 20m without thinking too hard. Have a look on Youtube at some contributors with larger workshops (eg Frank Howarth) and see what you think about their layout. Good luck with you new workshop.