Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning up small rusty items?

Cleaning up small rusty items?

Haven't got the $$ for Evaporust at the moment......and have quite a few small items to derust. Looking in to using vinegar soaks to derust. is it White Vinegar? How long to soak? Have lots of old sockets and bits to clean up...too small for the wire wheel. There are a few files in the "to clean" pile, as well...

Not worth the cash to buy a charger to do the electro stuff as there just isn't enough parts to do. Simple Green just makes a mess, too....

Blog Entries
    I have never used vinegar I do know all vinegars have acetic acid. Not sure if the white vinegar has less other stuff in it than the other types of vinegar. For a stronger mix use a photo stop solution. It is a much stronger acetic acid. It would likely have to be diluted.

I have used citric acid. Others here on SMC have used one of the powdered concentrated lemonade products. Check the labels.

If you start in the morning, check it throughout the day. I usually do not do a citric acid bath more than 24 hours.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've heard Apple Cider vinegar to work better...I've used both for small screws, nuts, etc, and both seem to clean the same.

"Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Have the parts soaking in white vinegar right now......we'll see how this goes....

Steven, we ran comparison tests at two different meetings of the Society of American Period Furniture Makers between electrolysis, citric acid, evaporust, molasses, and lemon-lime koolaid (w/o sugar). Consensus was that all worked equally well for surface rust. Evaporust was the simplest to work with and cleaned up easiest. Electrolysis was the messiest and hardest to clean up. Citric acid found in the canning area of the supermarket and lemon-lime koolaid were the cheapest.
    Just FYI.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Very easy to put together a small electrolysis tank.
    Not that big a deal to clean up.

For me the best is to soak in citric acid solution. Even better is boiling it. After removal of the parts, hair dry them. Finally wire brush them with a wire cup on a drill press wearing leather gloves.

Have soaked all afternoon. Did the rinse, and the baking soda, then some Kerosene. Wound up using the wire wheels anyway.

Was just using what I had on hand.

Drill bits came out the best, sockets....meh. Kitchen sink drains are cleaned out now, as well. The BIG bit for the #131 Yankee screwdriver is now like new.

I did the soaking outside, sitting the bowl of stuff on the Potting Table out there. Plenty of air flow, and a bit of sunshine.

May try this again..sometime.

I soaked a Bailey 5c in vinegar a bit too late long. It actually started to etch the metal.

I you are not in a rush try soaking them for 2-3 weeks in a closed container with water and potatoes. It works well but it will stink!

Phil

Oxyllic acid also works great, if you have any around.

This is the second time I've tried the vinegar routine......worked a bit better this time. 4 hour soak, then the rinse. Next time, I'll add some shaking to the mix. needs to agitate things to get into the insides of the sockets. At least the kitchen drains are cleaned out, as well. Vinegar and baking soda down a drain.....no more clogs.

If access to materials and dollars is a concern ... Coca Cola will also do rust removal in a pinch. Is it faster, better than other acidic solutions? Not sure .. but I don't see it mentioned too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Oxyllic acid also works great, if you have any around.
    Thanks for that pointer. I have some oxalic acid. I'll try it out.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.