Thread: 7518 routers

7518 routers

Would very much like to know how your 7518 is doing.
    Especially those bought in the last 2 years.
    Is the VS sloppy or on the money, bearings, motor lock?

Pat

I have had one for many years. It is in my router table. Works great. VS works as expected.

Doug

I've had one for about 10 years. The lowest speed on the VS has started to fail but I hardly use it. Other speeds are fine, as are the bearings

Bought a "used" 7518 four years ago when I built yet another router table. It has been a stalwart performer, no issues at all and it is used a lot.

My speed switch doesn't click as well as it used to be it still controls the speed. Probably needs to be taken out of the table and cleaned out.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

My father gave me his 7518 about 15 years ago. I don't know how long he had it. It is in my router table and running fine. I do have to say that I don't use the router table often.

It's not really a variable speed, but multi-speed. All mine are older than 2 years old, but still working fine. My "router tables" don't allow any dust to ever touch the router though, and mostly they all still look like new.

I have 2 that are over 10 years old and working fine. So far no issues with the speed switch, probably because I don't change all that often.

Blog Entries
    I believe Pat is asking about newer versions and their quality. Units we may have had for years are already known to be OK for the most part.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I bought mine in 2009 and have had it in my router table ever since. It works great! I have had no problems whatsoever, and the only maintenance I have to do is brush off the sawdust every once in a while and put a dry lubricant on the posts.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I purchased one about two years ago and everything is working well on it. Got it at the Woodworking shows for a good discount.

Mine is older than two years by quite a bit, but continues to perform to my expectations in my router table setup.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a 7518 router that's about two years old, although it might be closer to three. It is mounted in a router table in a lift. It is doing fine so far. Speed change works. Bearings have not failed. I use two wrenches to tighten/loosen the collet, so I've never tested the motor lock. My cyclone plugs into a box that surrounds the router, so there's plenty of airflow past the router, so it may stay cooler than other routers.

I also have had mine in my router table for the past 4 to 5 years and it runs like new.
    Don

I pulled smaller router out of my table, and installed new, motor-only 7518 ~6months ago. It has been well used since with no complaints, but I rarely change the speed.