Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest Harpsichord finished - at last

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Tacheny View Post
    I'd love to see pictures of the action that plucks the strings. I am not sure many people realize the mechanical differences between a harpsichord and a piano.

Great work, but I think I'll pass on hearing it. There is a reason why the pianoforte is still around and harpsichord, well, isn't as much.

Robby
    The piano is basically a percussion instrument in that the sounds are produced by a hammer striking the strings. In a harpsichord, the strings are plucked like a harp. The "plucker" ( known as the plectrum) is carried to the string by the jack. The illustration below briefly describes how this action works (double-click image to enlarge).

Jacks are made of wood (usually pear or beech with holly tongues) or a modern plastic like delrin. I use both, depending on how much time I have to complete the project. Delrin jacks are quick as they can be purchased from a supply house. Good ones work really well - and poor ones are terrible. In either case, they cost $2.00 to $3.00 a piece, so in an instrument like the Hemsch which has 183 jacks, it can get quite expensive. Wooden jacks cost 3 to 4 times as much as they are hand-made. There are two or three craftsmen in the U.S. that do nothing but make jacks - and their waiting list is months long. I make my own, but the learning curve to build them is quite steep. I made hundreds of them before I got to the point where they were reliable.
    Here's what the jacks look like. On the left is a wooden jacks, and next to it, a delrin jack.

IMG_4168 (2).jpg
    Here's what all 183 of them look like in the instrument.

IMG_4171 (2).jpg
    And finally, a close up of one of the jacks which has been raised so you can see the plectrum, tongue, and damper.

IMG_4174 (2).jpg
    I hope this has been helpful.
    Ernie
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Wow Ernie, that is quite impressive!!! I would not even know where to start. I have to ask, how many hours does a project like this take you?
    Jeff - In harpsichord building, time is measured in months because measuring in hours would be too depressing. This instrument took about 7 months to build. Other, smaller ones, can be done in five. My first harpsichord, over 30 years ago, took me two and a half years, and let me know, in no uncertain terms, that I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing. Eventually, with a lot of help and guidance from experienced builders, the fog lifts and the construction time shortens. Now that I'm in my 70's, I find it's gradually taking longer and longer once again. When I get back to one instrument every 2 1/2 years, I'll know it's time to quit.
    -Steven Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Awesome! I didn't know there was a Harpsichord maker in Chocowinity.

Yeah! - I've got the red hot Chocowinity harpsichord market all sewn up.
    -Steven Wright.

Wow, I'm just amazed that people can build such things. Congratulations.

I think George Wilson made one or more of those and I hope he chimes in.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Wow, I'm just amazed that people can build such things. Congratulations.

I think George Wilson made one or more of those and I hope he chimes in.

Mike
    I hope so. I signed up for the Creek when I found out that George was a member. I've watched his videos on harpsichord/violin making many, many times - and still do. I find them inspiring.
    -Steven Wright.

Wowsa!!! Wonderful work and a great looking instrument!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Awesome work there Ernie.

Wonderful work - thanks for posting.

Brings up a thousand questions like: What wood is it made of? What is the finish? How much does it weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    Wonderful work - thanks for posting.

Brings up a thousand questions like: What wood is it made of? What is the finish? How much does it weigh?
    John - The case is poplar except for the bottom which is southern yellow pine. Soundboard is 40 year old German Spruce. Keyboards are made of basswood with gaboon ebony key coverings. Legs are soft maple.

The finish is Sherwin Williams oil-based Pro-Classic over three coats of Sherwin Williams premium Wall & Wood primer (water based).

I'm not sure of the weight, but if I had to guess I would say 125 lbs.

Thanks to you and everyone else for your comments.

Ernie
    -Steven Wright.

beautiful piece and superbly executed

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Tacheny View Post
    Great work, but I think I'll pass on hearing it. There is a reason why the pianoforte is still around and harpsichord, well, isn't as much.

Robby
    There's no accounting for taste - I love the sound of a harpsichord. Agree it's not relevant in "modern" music (i.e., music created after the 18th century) but it's a beautiful sound for period music. But what do I know - I like (well played) bagpipes as well.

Anyway, this is a beautiful example that Ernie built. Great job, I'm envious!
    Mark Maleski

Thank you, Mark - that's why tv's have more than one channel. Rock is way more popular than classical music nowadays - does that mean it's better? It all depends on who's listening. The piano's ability to play soft and/or loud (hence the name pianoforte) caused the harpsichord to go out of favor. On the other hand, listening to music written for the harpsichord on the modern piano gets the listener further away from the original intent of the composer. Fortunately, music (and instruments) exist for every taste.
    -Steven Wright.

Fantastic!!
    1955 Shopsmith Mk 5, modified to be reversible

Well done sir! That's a true piece of art. Thanks for posting

Michael

Phenomenal. What can I say. What material did you use for the keys Ernie?