Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Tent Sale?

Cool A Tent Sale?

Enough that he needed three tents set up. Didn't have a whole lot to spend, but...for $15?
    bits and chisel.jpg
    10 Irwins and a Witherby? The chisel was a fiver, the bits were a buck apiece.
    I went through 4 times this amount of bits, doing a bit of shopping, making sure the tips were in good shape...still wound up with a couple duplicates...a pair of #10 and #14s. Sizes were from #4 up to #18.

I had to add the handle for the chisel, and since a few were also in the box with the chisels, I found one that will fit. Need to clean off the clearcoat the fellow likes to spray on things to prevent rust.

I will see the fellow again...Labour day Weekend @ West Liberty, OH. as there will be a Tractor Fest going on. He will have even more stuff set out then, so i had better save up...

Blog Entries
    I went through 4 times this amount of bits, doing a bit of shopping, making sure the tips were in good shape...still wound up with a couple duplicates...a pair of #10 and #14s. Sizes were from #4 up to #18.
    I like to have duplicate auger bits. Keep a few beaters for rough work or drilling into something that may have a nail or screw embedded.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Steven, I just have to ask. I've been a member of SMC for a little over a year now. I wouldn't have the room for just the tools you've posted since I joined. Do you resell regularly, or has your wife agreed to decorate the entire house in "Early American Tool"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Steven, I just have to ask. I've been a member of SMC for a little over a year now. I wouldn't have the room for just the tools you've posted since I joined. Do you resell regularly, or has your wife agreed to decorate the entire house in "Early American Tool"
    LOL!

I met a person down in Oregon with a house that is done in an "Early American Tool" motif.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Oh, I do sell a few things as I go along. I keep what I need, sell what I don't. Dungeon Shop kind of sets a limit on what stays and doesn't stay. Have donated a tool boxful now and then, as well.

May have to build another box to hold a bits....
    lid.jpg
    Something like this? Maybe make a box to replace the lid? Or, just a whole new box?

Some of the things I passed on at this sale
    2 #6 planes, one a "c" model
    Maybe another 50 bits for the 6 braces i also turned down, including a 6" sweep millers Falls brace. ( $25?)
    Pipe wrenches, socket sets, ratchets. some of the biggest drill bits I ever saw ( and your drill press would never turn it)
    A solid wood Machinist's tool chest, FULL of tools of the trade....$200

One other sale I went to, had four full sized handsaws...a bit more rusty than what I like, including a pair of D-8 xcut saws...but $10 each was a bit steep...
    Have a couple other sales to go to tomorrow....anyone want to go along? That tent sale will still be going on, BTW....Be at my place by 0800 hrs tomorrow morning.

Well, got vetoed about going back to that place by the Boss.....sooo, now I'll just save up until Labour day weekend, and walk the mile or two of vendors down at the Tractor Fest. The fellow is usually set up down there...three tents, couple rows of tables and a farm wagon...full of tools. Will be a few others down there as well....the only drawback? The Village of West Liberty, OH is a DRY Town...no booze, period. The mennenites voted the town dry.
    Supposed to be a Tractor Fest with over a 100 farm tractors, including steamers. Lots of food, just no booze...oh well....

Well, cleaning tools and the like will be on hold for awhile......Charcoal Grill I was trying to re-light had a flare up.......up my arms and down my legs. hands are a medium rare right now, hair is gone from the arms, beard is singed. Still stings abit. Trip to the local ER, too.....and cold hamburgers when I got back home....hands have a few small bubbles all over them...so, I'll take a break from cleaning old rusty & krusty stuff until I get healed up...

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Well, cleaning tools and the like will be on hold for awhile......Charcoal Grill I was trying to re-light had a flare up.......up my arms and down my legs. hands are a medium rare right now, hair is gone from the arms, beard is singed. Still stings abit. Trip to the local ER, too.....and cold hamburgers when I got back home....hands have a few small bubbles all over them...so, I'll take a break from cleaning old rusty & krusty stuff until I get healed up...
    Eek, sorry to hear that!

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Yikes. I hope you recover quickly.

Years ago, I was relighting a furnace, but the match blew out, so I lit another and WHOOSH! I had not released the primer. Sort of like singeing a chicken. No lasting damage but I learned not to do it that way ever again. Get well Steven.

one year, long ago, had a plumber wannabe work on my old Williams fuel oil furnace.....later, tried to get it to light. Took an old newspaper'lit it, and pushed it into the firing chamber's door......there was an outline in soot on the wall behind me, looked just like me. The B O O M shook the house, and sent a smoke ring out the chimney. I lost all the hair on the side of my face..the rest of me was black with soot....

A few weeks later, a local grocery Store burned down.....traced the start point to a fuel oil furnce that the same plumber had also worked on....I think I got lucky....

I put on some gloves, to cover the singed hands, today. When down and cleaned up a drill...
    IMAG0001.jpg
    As I just can't seem to sit still. hands still sting a bit, about like a bad sunburn...some of the bubbles have popped today...

Thanks for the well wishes....

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    A speedy recovery sir!!

Thank you! Will try. Blisters have formed, and then dried out. More of the goop to apply. Friday promises to be another decent rust hunt.....

I always use one of those chimneys to start the charcoal. Handful of shavings under the charcoal and it gets it going in good shape. You can still get burned of course, but I don't have to keep lighter fluid around or fool with it.