Thread: Attempt at tangentail turning....

Attempt at tangentail turning....

Finally got some time to try out an idea for tangential turning. Rather than use glued segments as shown in the August, '14 issue of American Woodturner I tried a solid block.

A 2" square block of scrap mahogany 3" long. Made a holding tenon on the end and tapered the sides 15 degrees each, 30 degree included angle.

Used the table saw to carefully put cuts in the block to accept .135" thick blood wood. (Is it just a coincidence that my table saw blade makes a .135" kerf, perfect fit.) Unfortunately I ran the block through twice to get a deeper groove, the second pass widened the kerf a bit. For a piece this size the .135" thick "veneer" is way out of scale, but you use what you have sometimes.

The blood wood was glued into the sawed kerfs.

The end view shows there is only a slight twist to the inlay, much less than I was hoping for. It did prove my concept though. Next time I'll try a much larger diameter with respect to height which should show more twist. Plus I'll get thinner veneer more in scale.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doug Rasmussen; 07-21-2016 at 6:52 PM.

Another try and refining the technique a bit.

This time I got more spiral than expected. Oh well, that's what practice is for.

The mish mash in the center is where the veneers came together. Using CA glue there wasn't much time to adjust to close up the center better.

1/16" thick material this time. This is a little too garish, not the subtle accenting I want. The "veneer" is green plastic engraving stock, you engrave the colored side exposing the white giving white lettering on green.

I'll try 1/32" material next time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting idea. Seems any number of combinations in various directions would make for a great spinner, knobs, lids ,etc..
    John 3:16