Thread: Linear Bearing Grease - Product / Brand Advice?

Linear Bearing Grease - Product / Brand Advice?

Hello

I need to purchase some bearing grease to use in the bearings of my C02 laser cutting machine. I am told by the Chinese manufacturers of my machine that the grease needs to be 'anti-heat' (which I assume means fire retardant?!? Not sure...).

Can anyone offer any advise on which grease to purchase for this purpose?

Thank you,
    Oni

Doing a search for linear bearing grease found this. P2 grease from THK (lithium based), which is expensive and intended for precision ball screws. It's very thick, but has a wide temperature rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Oni Laughton View Post
    Hello

I need to purchase some bearing grease to use in the bearings of my C02 laser cutting machine. I am told by the Chinese manufacturers of my machine that the grease needs to be 'anti-heat' (which I assume means fire retardant?!? Not sure...).

Thank you,
    Oni
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Oni Laughton View Post
    Hello

Thank you,
    Oni
    I believe they are referring to the drop point, the temperature at which the grease turns more liquid than solid. I use a lithium multipurpose bearing grease. the drop point is 350*F.........I can't imagine a laser bearing getting even close to that point.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Almost any white lithium grease will work. Whatever you do, don't use WD-40! Use denatured alcohol to clean the rails and then apply the grease very sparingly, less is better and more is bad in this case.

I know the THK grease is very expensive, but it's not as "sticky" as other lithium grease and really works well. The good news is that even if you use a lot of it, a tube should last you for years - the one that came with my first laser lasted 5 or 6 years. Search eBay for "THK lithium grease" and you'll find some for around $25 a tube - that sounds expensive but if it lasts just 4 years that's only $6.25 per year.