Thread: Nonprofit wood shop, how find contractor to review DC plans, give quotes?

Blog Entries

Nonprofit wood shop, how find contractor to review DC plans, give quotes?

Any hints on how to find a contractor that understands wood shop dust collection?

I run the wood shop at a non profit (all volunteer collective - there are other areas like metal shop, sewing, 3d printing, laser cutter). I have already been through the chain of mistakes and upgrades before achieving DC joy in my small home shop, I've done all the homework, know what will and won't work for the community shop.

The shop is as bad a dust issue as you can imagine: buried deep in a billing with no open windows or doors (the whole building, that is), no windows in shop, just the door that must stay closed. Shop includes a table saw, bandsaw, jointer, planer, CMS, OSS/belt sander, lathes, all serviced by the same Delta 50-850 with Wynn filter combination I have at home. It is seriously undersized for this... I only get good results (per dylos meter) with a giant window fan and one tool connected at a time via minimal ducting. The Dc there is installed as a central unit with long runs. There is also a jet Dc that gets rolled around as needed. There is a small Honeywell 150cfm hepa and a nice clean room ambient filter that no longer passes much air.
    We also have a large CNC router with it's orb undersized DC and duct issues. As you can imagine, it's bad.

There are some non woodworking types in decision making roles that have the common misconceptions. They want a professional to tell them whether this is necessary and how to address it.
    My concerns are:
    •finding one that knows the domain. Am I correct in assuming that HVAC professionals generally lack this?
    •spending money on a professional duct improvements -what the one calling the shots believes is the most we'll need- won't solve the problem. We need a system capable of actually collecting the dust in the first place. The ducts, tool end improvements are relatively easy.
    •Systems that would be appropriate will themselves take a serious stretch and member donations, yet can be installed by members.

So, I think we really need a consultant to review and advise plans that we have already come up with. Someone who can say what level is necessary (how much dust is ok?) Whether the general plan is sound and point out broadly if we would be better off making what we have work. Basically advise and correct any high level mistakes in the plan. If that's the case, how much would this cost/hour?

How does one find someone like that? Do they exist below the large industrial air quality companies i see online? Any better ideas?

Thank you,
    Fitzhugh

Maybe try somebody like Oneida who sell dust collectors. They also do design work.

Clearvue also has a design service.

Blog Entries
    I agree that should be the answer, but the skeptic who must be converted will dismiss them as having a dog in the hunt. But they might be a lead regardless, if anyone would. They would know who else does this.
    Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Or Bill Pentz... I'll ask him as well

I’d be talking to an HVAC engineer, not a contractor. They’d be able to design you a system to meet applicable codes.

Most HVAC people are not going to be versed in DC. Totally different animal than normal HVAC work.

You need to consult a DC engineer and I know of none other than going through Oneida or Clear Vue or Grizzly.

I don't know why, but if your people are worried about them wanting to sell you a system, so what?
    You should explain that is not a conflict of interest, anymore than hiring a plumber who designs a plan for your plumbing!

They will design a system with no obligation to buy the equipment from them (although where else are you going to buy it).

You also need to be looking into air filtration for a room that no ventilation like that

You're doing the right thing consulting rather than building it yourself.

I’ve designed a few industrial projects with dust collection systems. The HVAC engineers I use have been well versed in the design and codes.

Just get quotes from several dogs in the fight and compare them.

Also this is exacty why I self fund my Mikiespace.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Could you ask the non woodworking types to read a few pages of the Bill Pentz site? It made a believer of me.