Thread: Walnut

Walnut

Picked this up from my brother today. He cut down a black walnut at my mom and dad's house (which my brother now owns) and wanted to know if I wanted some for turning... of course. He and his grandson are going to cut some more pieces for me, but needed this butt section out of the way. Hoping to turn some bowls for the family in remembrance of my folks.

0721160950.jpg

0721160950a.jpg

That is a beautiful piece. I can't see the numbers clearly. Is it about 30" x 30"?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Huh, I didn't notice that the tape washed out so badly. But yes, around 30" to 32".

Some advice: Make sure that you anchor seal or wax the ends to minimize cracking. I have noticed in my dry climate that most wood starts developing small cracks within only an hour or two. They don't go very deep in that time, but give it a week or two or a month or two and you may lose more and more of your wood. If you cannot get to it for a week or two, consider sticking the logs into large plastic bags or take some stretch wrap and tie/tape it to the log ends.

I think that I have had the least amount of loss/spoilage when I bagged the logs, and one-by-one cut out the pith, rough turned the logs, sealed the ends and bagged them. Robo Hippy and others have some good videos on how to slice up your logs.