Thread: Speedy 300 X Axis blowing fuses

Speedy 300 X Axis blowing fuses

I have started having an issue out of the blue with our Trotec Speedy 300. During startup, the X axis fuse blows while the machine attempts to home itself. No changes have been made to the machine since it was last used and was working fine. I hesitate using the help desk because I am capable of troubleshooting most problems and I am not interested in the standard "replace the board" answer. I just wanted to ask if anyone else has had this problem and found a simple solution. A visual inspection shows no sign of damage and I am about to go in-depth with a meter and oscope to try and find a faulty part.

A little back story:

We are a military organization and were able to procure this machine at no cost because it was deemed not repairable. Needless to say that 3 fuses and a firmware update was all that was required to get it operational. After a thorough cleaning and alignment, it ran perfect. I was originally unable to update the firmware and the "Help Desk" stated it needed a new processor card because it was so old (2006). I utilized the original JobControl program to connect and update the 6.1.1 firmware to the newest and was able to use JC X without issue. I say this just in case anyone else has the same problems.

I have no funding to repair the machine so I am relying on good old-fashioned troubleshooting to find the problem. Unlike the radars and radios I work on daily, this thing isn't designed for repair so I have my work cut out for me!

Have you checked for mechanical issues? Does the head move freely in X and Y or is it difficult to move? I don't know if you have steppers or servos, but a stepper should lose steps if it can't move but a servo could possibly blow a fuse.

Since the fuse only blows when trying to home it must be the motor or the driver. Does the X axis even move a little before blowing the fuse? Can you disconnect the motor and try to home? at least that will eliminate the motor.

Kim
    Epilog Legend 24TT

My experiences with the Trotec help desk have been far better than what you imply. My machine is also a 2006 vintage and they had servos in the Speedy 300 series.

I would first look at the incoming power supply. I don't know where you're located but thunderstorms in our area can wreak havoc on electrical devices. Your machine should be hooked up to a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

With the machine off see if the carriage moves freely in both x and y axes.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I meant to add that the unit has DC motors with encoder wheels that move freely. I discovered that the 1uf capacitor located after the fuse is bad. I don't have a replacement of that type available at the moment so I'll replace as soon as I can and retry.
    Last edited by Michael Haile; 07-22-2016 at 1:14 PM.

I really didn't have any trouble with the help desk and they provided me with mounds of troubleshooting aids. In the end they defaulted to replacement when the part wasn't bad. I get that a lot when working with electronics, but I have a repair shop at my disposal and years of service. I like to fix as opposed to replace whenever possible. The machine is on a dedicated circuit with overload and spike protection. It may have been free but it is still expensive!

It doesn't appear that there is a budget for expensive repairs but your machine is old enough to be considering what you'll do if the tube goes. You have an excellent place in Grove City, https://photovaclaser.com/ that can repair the tube when needed. Not cheap though.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks for the info! The machine sat in storage for 7 years and saw very light use when it was active. The laser cuts super nice and we generally use it for small plate and plaque engraving so hopefully we have a few years of life out of it.

So I was forced to replace the X-axis motor and X-axis rear board. I was fortunate enough to have some bean counters let loose of the funds to buy the parts. Now the machine is up and running again. I appreciate the responses. Thanks!