Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Substitutes for wood veneers...?

The only problem I see with the Roarocket stuff, is that it is 1/16 thick, a little more than twice as thick as most veneer used by woodturners. In my case, I often laminate two sheets of veneer together to get a little more thickness anyway. Also their shipping for laminates is strange. They won't ship just the veneers unless you order a laminate pack(???), because of the potential to break. I would think if someone bought a few laminate sheets, and they were packed carefully, there would be no problem. If anyone orders here, let us know how it worked out, and how you like their veneer.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Thanks for all the replies. And, I'm interested to know about the use of heavy paper.

I did find some test material I had on hand. Green plastic engraving stock 1/16" thick. Interesting effect with the green and white.

Besides being thicker than I want wood glue doesn't hold it. I used CA glue which I'm not totally sure holds very well either.

It turns out my local Rockler does have color dyed veneer in 3 square foot packs. They can't tell me the thickness though, only that it's probably not exactly 1/32" thickness. I'll have to find a small jewelers saw blade to match whatever the thickness is.
    Attached Images Attached Images