Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building new house: Can I wire up my basement shop before final inspection?

In my state the property owner can run his own electrical, however it is subject to the same codes and inspections. I have a external 30 X 50 pole barn. I had the electricians come do the wiring. I told them what I wanted and two of them did it in about 4 hours including running a 100 amp box and installing the lights. I had them run in conduit. To me it wasn't worth the savings. It would have taken me 4-5 days reading the codes, going for supplies, and doing the work. The had everything they needed right on the truck.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, everyone. I think I will wait till after final inspections.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Please don't forget the purpose of a building inspection - whether for framing, plumbing, or electrical. In spite of the horror stories and expense of inspections, they are intended to protect people from shoddy or dangerous workmanship. For every horror story, how many house fires, leaks, floods, or structural failures are prevented by adequate inspections? ...or lives saved? I know I can't prove these 'negatives', but certainly recommend an extra set of eyes.

I completely wired my father's last shop, including meter-base, sub-panel, outlets, and lighting. His municipality didn't require a permit, but he called and the building inspector gladly came and checked my work. And I can sleep better!
    Very well said.

One note. I think the permitting and inspection process can vary quite a bit between different states, cities, and even subdivisions. For example, in Texas it seems to be up to the cities, and some cities that don't have any rules at all (it is Texas, after all ) but a particular subdivision might have their own rules for permits and inspections.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel O'Neill View Post
    The small town I live in has a note about unpermited work ruining the sale. My mom's house the purchasers specifically asked if there was any unpermited work. [snip]

Another big thing to consider is that you don't own the house until closing. So if you wire up the basement without written permission (and a guarantee it won't affect the final cost of the house) you could get yourself into a bind.
    Just some thoughts hope they help & congrats on the new place.
    The other issue beyond sales issues - either current or future sale of the home - is insurance. If anything happens and it can be traced to unpermitted work, they can easily deny any and all claims.