Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purchase On-Line or In-Person

It all depends on the item.
    A big thing for me is what the return policy is. Buying a large item online then having problems (or don't like) and needing to return at my expense kills a great deal quick.
    My new go to place to order is Wal-Mart. Use to be a big amazon customer. But since they raised the free shipping to $49 harder for me to meet the minimum. Wal-Mart I can place any size order and it ships free to store. Pick up same day if in stock at local store or most often less than a week ship to store. Also a big plus is all returns can be made at local store. Walmart often is the exact same price or lower than Amazon. Also items don't sit on my porch all day.
    For Amazon I place small items on my wish list and add them to an order when I need something I can not get anyplace else priced below the $49 minimum.
    I see where Amazon Prime is a good deal for some. But I don't watch many movies. and why, in my case , pay $100 year for Prime shipping if I get free shipping to store at WalMart. (Walmart is across the street from work)

FYI Walmart online is often cheaper than in store price. Laser printer cartage I use is around $12 cheaper if I order online for store pickup vs just selecting it off the shelf.

I enjoy detailing my cars. I get most of my wax, etc... at Pep Boys. They very often offer 30 % off online order for pick up in store. They are local for me so its handy.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 07-23-2016 at 11:29 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Well I shop online a lot since the closest shopping area is 20 miles from me and the major area is 40 miles plus.One of the reasons I mostly ride my m/c.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I shop online unless I need it right now. With free 2-day shipping on almost everything though, I'd never leave the house if I didn't have to.

The postman is really taking the brunt of lots of deliveries as Amazon has sent them a lot of business. He had to climb the steps to my door today and in the 90 degree heat and high humidity looked pretty beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    What do you folks find yourselves doing?
    I purchase most farm things including horse items, boots, etc. from the local farmers co-op even if they are not the cheapest since I REALLY want them to stay in business. It would be a big problem to run a farm without a good feed and animal care products close by.

I shop the hardware store and the big box store for most lighting, electrical, and occasional hardware and board.

Air compressor supplies, inner tubes, big tools, pressure washers and such are a 30 minute drive to Northern Tool.

I drive 10 minutes to WalMart for plastic tubs and the occasional 25 lb bag of sugar for the beehives.

I buy machine parts and tools and other stuff from whoever has them on-line. I get many things from Amazon that are not readily available elsewhere or if I want them fairly quickly but not today. They've got me hooked with the 2-day shipping thrown in. It's amazing how they can get a $3 item to me with 2-day shipping included. I did get my big horizontal metal-cutting bandsaw from Amazon since the price was right.

JKJ

Otoh

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Use to be a big amazon customer. But since they raised the free shipping to $49 harder for me to meet the minimum. Wal-Mart I can place any size order and it ships free to store. Pick up same day if in stock at local store or most often less than a week ship to store. Also a big plus is all returns can be made at local store. Walmart often is the exact same price or lower than Amazon. Also items don't sit on my porch all day.
    For Amazon I place small items on my wish list and add them to an order when I need something I can not get anyplace else priced below the $49 minimum.
    I see where Amazon Prime is a good deal for some. But I don't watch many movies. and why, in my case , pay $100 year for Prime shipping if I get free shipping to store at WalMart. (Walmart is across the street from work)
    I'm not big on Movies at all but do enjoy programming that is not available except on the highest $ tiers of the cable company. I've been a Hulu subscriber but they seem to be dropping what I watch for yet more Hollywood dreck which I don't watch. Amazon seems to be picking up those series and I'm paying Hulu $7.99/month. $7.99 X 12=$95.88/yr. So for another $3.12/yr. I can get free 2 day delivery on most stuff. Different wants/needs different solutions.

The convenience of shopping online far outweighs any benefits of shopping in person in my opinion.