Thread: Quitting the Tool Lending Practice

Quitting the Tool Lending Practice

I'm done. It never fails....lend out a tool and get it back broken or damaged. I tried for years and now won't even lend out Harbor Freight tools. It's amazing how little care people take care of tools and how much damage they cause.

I tell people I come with the tool & I operate on beer.....
    People that know me know how expensive that is going to be for them and have quit asking to borrow tools .

Seriously though - - of the people I know that I would lend a tool to and not think twice about it, those are the same people that would never ask to borrow a tool or refuse the offer of me lending them a tool.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have two friends I lend tools to. Coincidentally, they are two folks who both loan me tools.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I tell people I come with the tool & I operate on beer.....
    People that know me know how expensive that is going to be for them and have quit asking to borrow tools .
    I know Rich personally and even if you borrow something as simple as a screwdriver it might cost you a case of beer.

Just kidding Rich.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Buy a 16# sledge hammer. Only once will a neighbor / friend want to borrow it. Post hole diggers is the one I don't understand. They make your shoulders / arms sore, cause blisters and calluses, break you out in a sweat. Why would anyone in their right mind want to keep them, but they do. When you do lend a tool, take a picture and make then sign, just like at the library. Be sure and include a DUE DATE! Five bucks a day beyond due date. Either they bring your tool back as promised, or help fund new tool purchases. Excuses for late return are to be written on five dollar bills.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 07-23-2016 at 9:09 AM.

I will only lend to my brother or his kids. All others the answer is flat out NO! In return I will never ever ask anyone to borrow anything.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    ...Seriously though - - of the people I know that I would lend a tool to and not think twice about it, those are the same people that would never ask to borrow a tool or refuse the offer of me lending them a tool.
    How does that saying go about lending money? "I'll gladly loan any of my friends money, but none ever seem to ask".

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    Hamlet Act 1, scene 3, 75–77
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I am also weary of lending tools. One neighbor has lent me tools so I will do likewise for him. He is respectful of tools and takes care of things.

I do keep a lot of beater tools around just incase someone wants to borrow a tool. I will not usually loan out tools, especially a tool I use on a regularly.

I once loaned a tool to a good friend. It was a screwdriver. He returned it all bent up and never bothered to replace it.

Another time I loaned a screwdriver to a co-worker. He broke it and bought a piece of junk to replace it.

That is why I will not loan one of my quality tools to people.

Now I am like Rich, I will do the work with my tools, but I will not loan them out. (that is a very big period at the end of that sentence)

Well under the condition that they give me a deposit of twice the tool's cost I might let them walk out with one of my decent tools.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I have only loaned tools to my son, and when I do, I just go ahead and replace it.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Like most of the responses above, I have had mostly poor results when lending tools. However:

1) I have some hand tools in my toolbox that belonged to my dad. Upon reflection I believe I may have borrowed them from him, and.......

2) 20 years ago a kid I knew had just gotten out of prison. I loaned him an imported socket set and a day later he came by and told me the ratchet gave way. I told him it was probably not fixable and it was of poor quality and not to worry about it. The next day he came by with a brand new Husky ratchet in a box with the receipt. I have lost contact with him, but I reflect back on him any time I use it.

12. I used to have a sign that said "I would rather loan my dog than my tools, my dog will come back".
    Sometimes it is better if it does not come back, because the condition just gets me upset.
    Yes it is amazing how some people just don't take care of their own tools let alone borrowed tools. Guess that is why rented tools are in such bad condition.

Blog Entries
    Yes it is amazing how some people just don't take care of their own tools let alone borrowed tools.
    A friend of mine is an emergency room medical professional. At home he is terrible with tools, often dropping them on the ground when he is finished using them for a particular task. I made the mistake of lending him my pocket knife to cut some cake. I was amazed at how messy he was able to get it doing such a simple task.

"I would rather loan my dog than my tools, my dog will come back".
    I like that. May use it. I would have to put another sign beside it, "BTW, I do not have a dog."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

God has seen fit to bless me with tools. I'd rather share the blessings than hog 'em.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I have a neighbor that wanted to borrow my tablesaw for a project. Only problem was we were going away for a few days.

I gave him the garage door opener for the time we were away. Believe me, he is the ONLY person I will do that for. When he returns a tool it looks better than when I lent it to him.

My brothers help me out with work that's needed around the house. They're good with tools so they don't get wrecked. If something gets dinged up I consider any losses as a 'labor cost'.

-Tom
    Last edited by Tom Stenzel; 08-01-2016 at 8:49 PM. Reason: make readable