Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MDHearing aids

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    True but only if your hearing loss is service related
    My father's hearing loss is not service related and the VA helped to fund his aids. I know that because the 'rents are now my "kids"...I manage their financials at this point.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

2. Try the VA?

I see that you've got the EGA for your picture. Have you thought about the VA?
    Im a retired Marine. I went to the Walter Reed and got my first set for about $700. I finally went to the VA with my medical records. They gave me 10% service related disability for hearing loss. With that service related disability they gave me free hearing aids and batteries.
    even if you're not retired, I'd check with the VA.m talk to your local rep and see if you can get your hearing loss to be service related. It's definitely worth a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Palmer View Post
    I see that you've got the EGA for your picture. Have you thought about the VA?
    Im a retired Marine. I went to the Walter Reed and got my first set for about $700. I finally went to the VA with my medical records. They gave me 10% service related disability for hearing loss. With that service related disability they gave me free hearing aids and batteries.
    even if you're not retired, I'd check with the VA.m talk to your local rep and see if you can get your hearing loss to be service related. It's definitely worth a shot!
    I second this. Here in CA there's a group that functions as VA "advocates" for veterans. They will help you file for a service related disability. Actually, they'll do almost all the work for you. You do need to get a copy of your last hearing test to submit.

Even if you were not in combat but you were in a branch that created loud noise (such as the infantry or artillery) you can get a service related disability for hearing loss based on noise exposure during training. It won't be much, maybe 10%, but that's enough to get hearing aids through the VA.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Well I've tried the VA and they just tell me its not service related and they can't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I second this. Here in CA there's a group that functions as VA "advocates" for veterans. They will help you file for a service related disability. Actually, they'll do almost all the work for you. You do need to get a copy of your last hearing test to submit.

Even if you were not in combat but you were in a branch that created loud noise (such as the infantry or artillery) you can get a service related disability for hearing loss based on noise exposure during training. It won't be much, maybe 10%, but that's enough to get hearing aids through the VA.

Mike
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Don't give up so easily. Find an advocate like Mike mentioned.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Go to your VA advocate. Try the local vfw - amleg. My advocate has an office in the local post. She helped me - filled out and submitted mine.
    It's well worth the effort!

ill try again
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

8. I finally saw an ad for the MD aids. At 200 each, they're pretty inexpensive. However, they may only be sound amplifiers (my term - prob incorrect term).
    My hearing loss is in the high frequencies and no loss in the lower. Just amplifying everything would probably be a bit painful if the lower frequencies were amplified as well. I'm not sure - just speculating.
    my suggestion- and only a suggestion- is to get a pair that can be tuned to your specific loss. You'll be amazed at what you've been missing!
    good luck with the VA.
    go to Costco / Walmart/ BJs - may cost a bit more - but if they'll tune me, well worth it over the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Well I've tried the VA and they just tell me its not service related and they can't help.
    Ever fire a gun in the service without hearing protection?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

10. I'm pretty certain that wouldn't be justification. I had to show them my medical records. Thy compared my early hearing tests to the one for my discharge physical. That showed hearing loss over 20 years.
    Get with your VA rep - he / she will know what to do.