Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raised panel cutter for shaper

Raised panel cutter for shaper

Hi all,

I have a shaper but for raised panels, I'm still using a router bit (3.5 inch). It runs and cuts fine with a 1/2 inch coupler and at 10,000 rpm. The shaper runs much quieter and smoother. So, I like it but it needs many passes (6-7 passes).

I guess my question is, do you think it's worth investing on a shaper cutter for raised panels? For a long run, I understand that Euro-style heads would be cheaper, but other than that, what has been your experience?

I'd appreciate your advices.

Thanks,

Susumu

A shaper will be an improvement. To do it really well it takes a heavy shaper with a ton of power, low enough spindle rpm, and a carbide insert head. The shaper I use for panel raising is a 9hp SAC TS125 spinning a four wing carbide insert head at 4500 rpm with a four wheel power feed. It does the best job panel raising I've ever seen come out of a shaper, I'd put it toe to toe with a, shape & sand.

Thanks Martin,

Mine is 4hp. No slouch, but not a 9hp monster.
    How many passes do you do with your setting?

Single pass

I'm usually using 6000 rpm or 8000,depending on size of raise. Usually with 4 inch corg head. For years used only old style shaper collars. Prefer T1 or M2 steel. Big raise gets two passes. Very little sanding. Also like that corg. head panel cutter sold by Schmidt.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    I've raised many panels with 3 hp and under shapers, one being a Walker Turner S1140 shaper with a 1hp motor, running at 7000 rpm. I would rough out the panels on the tablesaw first then make the hip cut on the shaper. Key is sharp tooling.
    Like Mel, I prefer steel for solid wood (I have the heads that he describes) and use carbide for composites, although the better manufacturers use fine grain carbide that puts a nice finish on solids.

Blog Entries

My low horsepower shaper

My 1970's vintage Delta shaper is 1 1/2 hp (I think). It is pictured. It does just fine raising panels. It also does fine with various door cutters. I bought it in the 1970's.
    I've made block paneling, residential exterior raised panel doors, Bank board room doors, and also kitchen cabinets.
    I've posted photos of exterior doors that I've built.

A big elaborate machine would be nice if I were running a commercial shop, but I'm a garage shop amateur. I was a contractor at one time. That's when I bought the shaper.
    I couldn't find a bigger shaper, although I did not look for one.

delta shaper.jpg

Blog Entries
    I went from raising panels on a porter cable 7518 to a 3hp delta hd to a 5hp grizzly. Cut quality increased each time, and one pass is so much nicer than multiples.

I would never go back to doing them with a router.

Thank you all,

So, if I hear you correctly, it doesn't make too much sense to do 7 passes with a router bit using a 4hp shaper.
    I don't think I have guts to raise a panel with one pass but 2 passes seem reasonable.

A decent insert cutter is about $200 with steel blades and the blade replacements are about $70-90. If they are faster and better cuts, I guess I should give it a try.

I have a Grizzly3hp shaper, and bought one of their carbide tipped panel raising cutters. I run the panels through 2 passes. Also use a power feeder. The cutter goes on top, and your panels are much better than with a router cutter. Tried that, filled the cabinet with chips. The shaper cutter throws the chips up and the dust collector gets the chips. Power feeder makes all the difference.

I have done panels on both shaper and overhead router. Shaper beats the overhead every time. I prefer either 3or 4 wing solid cutter's. Once again I don't get the popularity of hss but I guess it must be that you guys don't have the abrasive timbers like Australia. If I use hss planer blades I would be lucky to get 100 feet before they lost their edge. Cheers

I used a 3hp shaper for my Oak raised panel doors. The cutters are Freud and am very happy with them. I would do 2 passes on the raised panels since it is a lot of material being removed. Second pass was more of a cleaning pass to sneak up on final thichness. I also did a back cut so my panel fronts were flush with stiles and rails.

Blog Entries
    I will preface this with that I work for Infinity Cutting Tools, but the shaper is the way to go if you have the machine.
    We sell a carbide insert system (Insert Pro) that allows you to choose face up or face down by using right hand or left hand knives. We did this so you can take 2 heads and stack them with a rub collar and run panel for an interior or exterior door raised on both sides in a single pass. We have a 3 HP shaper here in the shop and I was able to run 1-3/4" thick oak panels in 1 pass without a power feed. Then again I run cabinet door panels at the router table in 2 passes, 3 tops.
    So my question would be what router bit are you using that you need 7 passes?
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Blog Entries
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-25-2016 at 10:42 AM.

I use the Innovator heads made and sold by CG Schmidt. These are a great way to get some flexibility for your raised panels without breaking the bank. You can get standard profiles in either HSS or Carbide and they are very easy to set up and get running. With an industrial 4 hp machine you should be able to do most profiles in a single pass. Otherwise 2 passes with the second being mostly a light cleanup pass. And you'll definitely want to be using a feeder for this. The size of these heads means having a large opening in the fence....not good for hand feeding!

good luck,
    JeffD