Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: acrylic banding

If things are really bad , it's often largely cured by converting the fill to a bitmap of 90% black.. you can try adding some random noise to the bitmap..essentially you are decorrelating the fill.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Thanks Rodney I'll try that also

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Banding often arises cos the laser puts a lot of heat into the materials and they expand and contract
    Try a teeny bit out of focus and reduce your scan gap ..ie a little more gap tween y axis scan lines
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Yes I did take it out about an 1/8" it helps a little also.
    I usually go a bit more out of focus than that to achieve the "melt" effect. About 1/4 to 1/2" depending on the acrylic and power settings.

Might be too much for your design, but can't hurt to try if you're already testing.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

OK, really stupid question, but I've asked it several times and never got a concrete answer. When you say take the lens "a bit out of focus", are you talking moving it up (away from the material) or down (towards the material)? I've never had a straight answer. Forgive the ignorance!!!
    Rabbit Laser 36 x 48, 80 watt laser
    Full wood shop
    Plasma cutting machine, 4' x 4'
    Vinyl Cutter

Michele,

I prefer to move table down but it may be fine either way.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Quote Originally Posted by Michele Welch View Post
    OK, really stupid question, but I've asked it several times and never got a concrete answer. When you say take the lens "a bit out of focus", are you talking moving it up (away from the material) or down (towards the material)? I've never had a straight answer. Forgive the ignorance!!!
    Technically you could do either and be lasering out of focus. However, I always move the table further when trying to melt the acrylic by manipulating the focus. And here's the reason.

When you move the material closer, you are actually moving the focal point into the material. So, if your power is too high, you could inadvertantly end up with a focused beam at a point near the bottom of the engraving. When I'm doing this, I want the opposite. I want the beam to kind of spread out and blur the lines ever so slightly as it burns into the acrylic.

But feel free to play with it and see what works best for each individual project. There are so many factors to consider (power, speed, interval, focus, material, air assist, ambient temperature, etc). It's never a bad idea to try different combinations for yourself.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

I think this is about the best reasoning I've read for which direction to focus! The other one is that it gives you more room between the substrate and the lens instead of less.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Downing View Post
    Technically you could do either and be lasering out of focus. However, I always move the table further when trying to melt the acrylic by manipulating the focus. And here's the reason.

When you move the material closer, you are actually moving the focal point into the material. So, if your power is too high, you could inadvertantly end up with a focused beam at a point near the bottom of the engraving. When I'm doing this, I want the opposite. I want the beam to kind of spread out and blur the lines ever so slightly as it burns into the acrylic.

But feel free to play with it and see what works best for each individual project. There are so many factors to consider (power, speed, interval, focus, material, air assist, ambient temperature, etc). It's never a bad idea to try different combinations for yourself.

Finished

After running about 7 different tests I found reducing the scan gap or DPI worked best. Final settings
    325mmps speed
    40% Power
    Scan gap .0847 or 300 dpi
    Banding hardly noticeable
    Thanks for all the suggestions
    This is how it came outSOF FIXED 2 (Copy).jpg
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 07-26-2016 at 6:31 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks everybody its done see previous post
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

i do mostly acrylic work. i get banding about every 2 weeks. all i do is clean my mirrors and lens. works every time. i take the lens out and clean it. not just a quick clean with a qtip.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Thanks everybody its done see previous post
    Wow!!
    I missed your your final outcome, watch out Bert you may soon find yourself busier than you care to be.
    Keep up the great work.
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

Thanks Scott, I already had someone inquire about doing something similar as a memorial for her father.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert
    Nice work on the layout!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400