Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust Right Universal Small Port Hose Kit-Rockler

Dust Right Universal Small Port Hose Kit-Rockler

Anyone have one of these? The adapters are great and fit my miter saw, sander and domino but the hose collapses under the power of the vac. I did a search on here but didn't see anything. My questions are has anyone replaced the hose and just use the adapters that come with the kit? If so, where did you get the replacement hose from and does it fit the adapters? Others complain of the same issue on the reviews on the Rockler website, but I didn't see any information of anyone replacing the hose.It is a 1 1/2" ID hose.Thanks for any help!

I use one because the adapters fit the dust port on the blade guard of my table saw perfectly. The rubbery hose doesnt present a problem in my application since I dont have the hose extended when its in use. I could see how it would be a nuisance if you wanted to use it in its stretched out state. Since the adapters are designed to screw into the hose, it seems like it would work fine with any other hose of proper dimension that had a spiral wire going in the correct direction.

Are the adapters easy to remove so the hose can be replaced? Are the connections proprietary?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have one that I use with my DeWalt Random Orbit Sander. I had to buy the gizmo that clamps to my bench that held up the hose. I still have problems with the adapter coming off the sander so I duct tape it on. Kind of a PITA, but cheaper than investing in a Festool sander and vac and it does allow the shop vac to remove most of the dust.

The Fein hose adapters (LINK) have worked perfectly with all my DeWalt tools so far and I just use the hose that came with my Shop-Vac.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

All,The adapters screw into the hose and are easily removable. They work very well like stated above if you have them attached to something stationary such as my miter saw. Where this kit falls short is if it is hooked to something such as a sander, the hose is clearly the issue in this case, you have to drape it over your shoulder or around your neck to keep it stretched out, but it tends to break the connection to the sander after a short time after fighting with it. The design is that the hose is collapsible so any suction at all leads to constantly trying to keep it stretched out, if that makes sense. Thanks for the replies all, I am going to try a box store replacement hose and cut the ends off so that I can change adapters, I was just wondering if someone had already tried this. I would definitely avoid this product until Rockler uses a different hose in this kit, or they sell the adapters that come with it separately which I would recommend as a good purchase in that case.Thanks for the replies,Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Womer; 07-24-2016 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Spelling

I have one of these and I find the hose heavy when using with my ROS. The hose stretches out great but its downfall that it also retracts(pulls back) strongly. If I known of these two issues I would not have bought one. I purchased it because the one I bought at HD was so stiff it also was hard to use with my ROS.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Womer View Post
    I would definitely avoid this product until Rockler uses a different hose in this kit, or they sell the adapters that come with it separately which I would recommend as a good purchase in that case.
    I asked Rockler about thi, to which the reply was "The 3 ports are available together for $9.99 plus handling through our customer care team at 800-376-7856 by requesting item #56413."

9. I have only used mine with my routers & ROS sanders. Fits just fine with out any other adapters & I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Katz View Post
    I asked Rockler about thi, to which the reply was "The 3 ports are available together for $9.99 plus handling through our customer care team at 800-376-7856 by requesting item #56413."
    Must have been a recent change, or I didn't see this, but I did order mine a while back when they first came out. Sounds like Rockler listened to the complaints out there about their hoses in this kit.

I saw those in the local Rockler a few months after they came out. My immediate reaction was that the hose would collapse and be a problem causing it to work poorly for many tools. They assured me that they had zero returns or complaints. I was so sure it would have issues that I tried it out in the store, where the suction tried to collapse the hose, shortening it, and pulling the tool toward the vacuum.
    I think they have limited use but will be perfectly fine for some uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    The Fein hose adapters (LINK) have worked perfectly with all my DeWalt tools so far and I just use the hose that came with my Shop-Vac.
    They also fit Festool, PC, and Bosch. Could there actually be a standard!?

I use it on my miter saw so the shortening is not a problem for me. But for something like a sander, I can see where it would be a serious problem.

Works well for my application.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike,
    That's on a Kapex, right?

Here is the best I came up with. Ridgid Professional Hose is $37 from HD or $58 from Amazon:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1-...2570/100375877

https://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-24608-...fessional+hose

The ends screw off the hose so you can easily shorten the hose to improve suction as much as possible. The hose is 1-7/8" so lots of suction. One of the ends supplied is perfect fit over the Kapex suction port. One of the other ends is perfect into a standard 2-1/4" shop vac port.
    Big improvement over a full length Festool standard hose that comes with a Festool vac.
    KapexHose.jpg
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 08-06-2016 at 2:01 PM.

rockler dust right small port

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Katz View Post

I ordered them today using the part number you gave... price is $20 an $4 shipping.. but still as I don't need another hose, I'm ok with paying $8 for each of the three ports if they work as well as others have said. Every time I try to attach a hand held tool to my vac, I spend 10 minutes trying to find an adaptor that works. Hopefully these will save me. I'll repost with the results when it arrives.