Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 607 Bedrock

Blog Entries

607 Bedrock

When Lee Valley introduced their matched irons and breakers, I bought a set for my 604, 605, and 607 planes.
    I used the 607 today on a 2X6 piece of birds eye maple. I'm not sure if I've used the plane since the conversion.

I did today, and I was blown away by the quality and ease of the cut. Translucent full width shavings made the experience enjoyable.
    The plane felt like a custom really high quality plane.

I've used the 604 and 605 with pretty much the same reaction. I highly recommend the Veritas irons and breakers.

Just thought you would like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    When Lee Valley introduced their matched irons and breakers, I bought a set for my 604, 605, and 607 planes.
    I used the 607 today on a 2X6 piece of birds eye maple. I'm not sure if I've used the plane since the conversion.

I did today, and I was blown away by the quality and ease of the cut. Translucent full width shavings made the experience enjoyable.
    The plane felt like a custom really high quality plane.

I've used the 604 and 605 with pretty much the same reaction. I highly recommend the Veritas irons and breakers.

Just thought you would like to know.
    Which steel did you get?

I was getting ready to hit the Reply to Thread button when I read that Patrick posted the exact words I was intending to.

Blog Entries
    I have the A2 blades. Amazingly, I bought these in late 2013. I can't believe it's been that long since I used that plane. I use the 604 and 605 frequently.

When I used the 607 today, I just picked it up an used it.

If I recall correctly, I had to file the slot on the 605. That could have been an idiosyncrasy of that plane.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-23-2016 at 7:50 PM.

My experience is similar to yours. The biggest improvement you can make to an older plane is to replace the blade with a modern blade (and maybe a modern chip breaker).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I also concur--I bought the PMV-11 blade and chipbreaker for a #7 and have been very pleased with it.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I had the same experience as you did Lowell. Put the A2 replacement iron and cap iron in my MF#9. What an improvement!

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have the A2 blades. Amazingly, I bought these in late 2013. I can't believe it's been that long since I used that plane. I use the 604 and 605 frequently.
    IMO A2 gets an unfairly bad rap (including from me sometimes). If properly processed and sharpened it works terrifically. I have LN A2 blades in a #2 and a #8, and LV A2 in a bunch of shaves etc, and they all work nicely. I prefer PM-V11 at this point, mostly because it can be used at lower angles (more chip resistant) and doesn't take as much handholding to sharpen, but that doesn't mean A2 isn't a great choice.

Hmmm, on a "lark" one time.....I switched out a Stanley #4's iron and chip breaker with a W-R #4 V3's........and found that I could not adjust the depth of cut. Tab on the Stanley's yoke did NOT reach the slot for it on the thicker W-R cutter.

Been using my Type 9 No.7c,WITH the OEM blade.....without any issues.
    IMAG0001.jpg
    But, then again, I am not trying to sell irons and chipbreakers.....just using what I have.
    IMAG0008.jpg
    No chatter, no tear out, even on this knotty Pine....
    IMAG0005.jpg
    Might be the way I set this plane up? Or just the way it is tuned up, and sharpened?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Hmmm, on a "lark" one time.....I switched out a Stanley #4's iron and chip breaker with a W-R #4 V3's........and found that I could not adjust the depth of cut. Tab on the Stanley's yoke did NOT reach the slot for it on the thicker W-R cutter.
    The WR blades aren't compatible with Stanley planes, nor are the ones for "own brand" LV and LN planes. All 3 sell made-for-the-purpose "Stanley replacement" blades though.

Hmm, yet when one would go to sell one of the Bedrocks to a collector.....about all you will get out of them now, would cover the cost of the cutters. File the mouth to allow the use of those thicker blades, just shot the resale value right down to..."parts Plane" status. Ruin a good Bedrock, rather than learning to tune it up.....steep price to pay....

Blog Entries
    Hmm, yet when one would go to sell one of the Bedrocks to a collector.....about all you will get out of them now, would cover the cost of the cutters. File the mouth to allow the use of those thicker blades, just shot the resale value right down to..."parts Plane" status. Ruin a good Bedrock, rather than learning to tune it up.....steep price to pay....
    I'm a user, not a collector, I don't care about collector prices. I've had these Bedrocks for about 20 years. When I let go of them, my heirs will have to worry about prices.

The enlarged slot is neatly done, someone would have to measure it to realize it was enlarged.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-24-2016 at 2:37 PM.

Still just a Parts Plane, as you have altered it. How would the y know? One clue would be the Non- Bedrock cutter....people do pay for the OEM irons and chipbreakers that went with the Bedrock line. Then, IF you re-install the OEM iron in the altered base. it would be like being a fraud....and would be paying a refund to the buyer, IF you can find one...

Way too many out there think the answers to their tune up a plane problem lies in the "new and improved," thicker irons.....when al, they really need to do is learn how to tune what they already have. They become spoiled by planes that work right out of the box, and have the thicker irons.....that those planes were designed to use. A bedrock and the like were not designed to use those thicker cutters. But, people try to slap a newer, thicker iron into them, thinking that will sub for just tuning the plane up. After all, they didn't have to tune up the new in box planes, right. And those planes have the thicker irons.......so a new iron would be the magic pill to cure the "old" plane's supposed problems. Go out and buy those new irons, the sellers will be very happy.......
    Last edited by steven c newman; 07-24-2016 at 3:16 PM.

To be clear, the Stanley-specific replacement blades are thinner than the ones in the "own brand" planes and don't require filing. For example the Veritas ones are 0.1", which will still fit a Stanley mechanism w/o modification.

Well tuning up the plane will only get you so far. Those thin stanley irons were not designed to be used on many of the figured hardwoods we work with today. Nor does the edge last nearly as long. A bedrock with a thicker new iron will outperform regular bedrock all day long. You should try it.

A run of the mill bedrock is not going to attract any collector. There are tons of them out there for sale. Now a mint one, in the box, or in pristine shape, another story. But these are mostly bought by users. You can sell them with the newer iron in them on ebay or the classifieds on sites like this and get more than you would with the older iron. Done it many times. And to fit a regular LN iron, only takes a small amount of filing. I have done it to many of my stanleys and they actually sell very well, tuned up, with the thicker irons in place. They are not just a parts plane.