Thread: Outdoor Sanding/Carving Station

Outdoor Sanding/Carving Station

I had to do a lot of carving and heavy sanding on this piece of aromatic cedar and decided to get out of my air conditioned shop even though temp was about 100F outside with only a little breeze. The simple base for the Trent Bosch carving stand worked well to hold the approx. 14"D x 7"H piece and allow me to use rotary rasp, angle grinder, and right angle drill with 3" disks. Still have a ways to go, but all the messy work outside sure helped keep down the dust in shop, even with dust collection system. Cedar Flower IMG_1627.JPG

The stand is clamped to step outside shop. I do not know why the pictures keep getting rotated when pulled in.

I use my picnic table, it is the right height, under a shade tree and has a handy seat.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Upright now, nice work
    Cedar Flower IMG_1627.JPG
    Have fun and take care

Thanks Leo. It looks a lot different after some initial work to reduce thickness. Wife said it needed to be thinner, but then I showed her that that was about limit of lathe work that could be done without cutting through the "petals" and having pieces flying off. It is surprising how fast an angle grinder with coarse sandpaper wheel will remove cedar. I need something a little smaller to get more inside the bowl, but the 4" well does a pretty good job if only using the tip and maintaining a contour cut inside. I know that there will be flats developed outside, but will have to work with that. Just need a little bit of breeze to blow away the dust.

Tom - I don't have a picnic table, but used to use arm of bench. I get shade off shop and also have some tree shade. Just need a good breeze to blow dust away.