Thread: Barn/shed for lathe

Barn/shed for lathe

rsz_2016-07-02_160911_resized.jpgrsz_20160716_175153.jpg

Bought a barn/shed to house my lathe and finished the inside. Only thing left is for the electrician to complete their work.

That's going to be a very nice space to work in!! Make sure you have good ventilation...small spaces do heat up more quickly sometimes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Enjoy it and plan for all the extras you will be adding. You did not say how big a lathe, but you should make sure a floor area is extra heavily reinforced/supported if you have anything bigger than a midi lathe or plan for a larger lathe later. You can always add some later, but a lot harder to do then. I would also consider adding some type of smooth finish to the foam insulation. Over time, you will accumulate dust on the ceiling even with a good dust collection system and a smooth finish (plastic sheeting stapled to rafters as example) would reduce problem and easy to install now. I did not do it on my shop with blanket insulation and kick myself everytime I look at it.

Ceiling went in yesterday. It is a fairly large lathe. I ordered the barn with an ungraded floor. 2 x 6 joists on 12" center rather than 2 x 4's on 16" center and a 3/4" floor. Good point about the ventilation. Hadn't really thought about that, but it does have 3 windows and 2 doors, so hopefully that will help.

Hot air rises, so you'll want a way for it to get out "up top". That ceiling vent should help!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-24-2016 at 6:24 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...