Thread: Some recent work...

Some recent work...

Just thought I'd share. Critique welcome, but go easy on me (more pieces in additional posts below).

Red oak. Turned green and allowed to warp. Finished with TY food-safe finishing oil:
    #062 017.jpg#062 021.jpg#062 025.jpg

Hickory. Finished with walnut oil and hand-buffed (with an old tee-shirt) to the shine you see here.
    #063 003.jpg#063 005.jpg#063 007.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hmmm... can't figure out how to get the extra thumbs off the original post... anyway:

Red oak. Turned green and allowed to warp. Finished with walnut oil. As slow as walnut oil takes to dry, I'll probably never use it again on red oak. It's still weeping out of the pores:
    Attachment 341284Attachment 341285Attachment 341286

Maple with cedar rim. WOP finish:
    Attachment 341287Attachment 341288

Hickory. TY food-safe oil finish:
    Attachment 341289Attachment 341290Attachment 341291

Look good to me. There is a little bit of pith in last photo that enhanced the warp and will often cause a split for me. I have had some success taking oil soaked pieces outside to higher temperature, even sunlight, to speed up the drying time of oil and stop weeping. I have a box with lamp inside that I use in winter or cooler times to raise the temperature and lower the humidity and increase drying.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Look good to me. There is a little bit of pith in last photo that enhanced the warp and will often cause a split for me. I have had some success taking oil soaked pieces outside to higher temperature, even sunlight, to speed up the drying time of oil and stop weeping. I have a box with lamp inside that I use in winter or cooler times to raise the temperature and lower the humidity and increase drying.
    Thanks! I actually dried it in my attic for a few weeks before getting frustrated and using a vacuum cleaner to pull some of the oil out... that worked out okay and it's almost dry now. I don't think I'll be using walnut oil on red oak (or any very porous wood) again, though!

They look good.