Thread: Corner Cabinets

Corner Cabinets

I have a job I'm bidding on. There is a 12 inch deep set back in this room that goes 92 inches along one wall and then turns and goes 36 inches along the perpendicular wall. The couple would like lower cabinets with shelves above. They also like euro style/frameless cabinets. I can't seem to see a good way to make the corner work without a frame. Marshfield #2.jpg I'd also like to not lose the corner space but making it reachable from the cabinet on the short wall.
    Looking forward to the comments and help as usual.
    Scott

You could get both of those decks out off a single piece, then you wouldn't have a seam

Here's one way to do it. There's a 36"-wide box that goes on the right-hand wall. Part of the front of it is closed off by an additional piece of plywood. The right edge of that piece is about 13 1/2" from the left wall. That is, there is a 1 1/2" reveal when the cabinets are installed. Door hinges mount to that piece. Depending on the hinges you use, you may need to fasten blocking on the back of that piece for the hinges to screw to. The left box has a filler strip on it that's about 1 1/2" wide. The two reveals give room for the overlay doors to not collide.

cornercabinets.jpg

Jamie- Great minds! Since posting the question I've drawn something quite similar. Thanks for the verification. And to all, full overlay hinges will clear each other when put side by side...right?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    You could get both of those decks out off a single piece, then you wouldn't have a seam
    I agree but want to check the flatness and squarness of corner first.

What Martin says. Cut shelves to shape and use ends and solid backs out of the same material as the shelves. Euro style is the only way to go. In Australia no-one has made anything other than euro for at least 30 years. In fact we don't call them euro. They are just modular. Cheers

You could use 45 degree corner cabinet which would look better and be a more use-able corner unit than the blind corner you're contemplating.

There's a Euro hinge designed for this use.

What did you decide to do?

How about this solution for corner cabinets. They have uppers and lowers.

http://www.kornerking.com/Default.asp
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I'm going with the end cabinet having access behind the long run of cabinets. That end cabinet will be hinged on the right. Still wondering about the full overlay hinges and cabinets being side by side. Do I need a spacer between the 3/4 side panels or do the hinges naturally clear each other. Same question where a cabinet meets a wall. Need spacer?
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Welty View Post
    I'm going with the end cabinet having access behind the long run of cabinets. That end cabinet will be hinged on the right. Still wondering about the full overlay hinges and cabinets being side by side. Do I need a spacer between the 3/4 side panels or do the hinges naturally clear each other. Same question where a cabinet meets a wall. Need spacer?
    Scott
    They need to be spaced out of the corner about 1" , and you need to use the mid level Blum plate , I'm a bit rusty on my euro MM plate sizing . But you will need to allow space for each door for the doors to clear.

You can use what I call a "flush scribe" , I'll see if I have a photo of that look.