Thread: Question of Technique

Question of Technique

Greetings to all -

The next project in the queue is an Arts and Crafts Lamp Table inspired by the Stickley #576 (Image below). The top is comprised of five planks with breadboard ends held in place by pinned tenons. The mating lines of the five top planks feature a small chamfer on each edge, forming a V-groove at the glue line. I wonder if it makes more sense to add these features pre glue-up or post glue-up? I'm probably going to add splines to the glue joints to keep everything lined up, but anticipate some light smoothing after glue-up.

Comments and suggestions are most welcome. This will be my first attempt at a tabletop with this type of construction.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Rob, definitely vee the joints before glue up. Heaps less work, more accurate and no risk of vee not perfectly centred on the joint. Cheers

I agree with chamfering before glue up. Also, for a small top, if the top is a glue up of 5 boards, I think using splines for line up is unnecessary work, unless you want the practice. I would edge glue and use small clamps at the ends of the glue joint to align the boards with one another as clamp pressure across the panel is applied.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 07-25-2016 at 10:32 AM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

One coat of finish on the boards will let you wipe away any squeeze out - but you probably know that...

Designing for seasonal movement, I would do the top with the center cluster either splined or t&g all sides, t&g between, and glue only on the ends of the center board. This, plus selecting only qs, and sizing with a few thou between when making it.

The lower shelf tenons would be relieved a little just along the through-part.

And yes, do most of the finish first.

Some more musings on joinery after an enjoyable Sketchup exercise.

I've made a houseful of Stickley mission-style knockoffs, and halfway through it all, bought a Festool Domino DF500, which cuts domino mortises from 4mm through 10mm. It made furniture building much more easy and quick.

The top is 7/8" thick finished and is a frame and panel affair, the frame joined with twin 8mm x 50mm tenons at each joint. The panel has a bottom core of 24mm baltic birch, to which is laminated resawn 1/8" thick planks of quartersawn white oak (the species throughout) that have 1/16" bevels on all four top face edges. The panel is aligned to the frame with 5mm x 30mm tenons, three along each edge.

The through-tenon look is done with a short length glued into a 5/16" deep mortise.

I show in a couple of views how the sides of the through tenons of the lower shelf are relieved 1/16" to permit seasonal wood movement. Fix this panel to the rails with one centered blind domino, a little 4mm x 20mm will do. No glue elsewhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks to all for the input.

If you are interested and are a Sketchup user, I uploaded the model to the 3D Warehouse. The domino joinery is all shown, and is essentially the same as I used when building a copy of the tile-topped cocktail table Stickley offers.

My model has the small table sized differently than Stickley. An inch shorter, and with an 18 x 18 footprint.

I had Sketchup on my old computer, but switched to a Mac at home. Not sure if it will work with Mac. I've been making a st of plans at work in AutoCAD.

Sketchup Make 2016 for Mac OS is readily available. http://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-make
    Last edited by Gene Davis; 07-27-2016 at 7:19 PM.

Here is a quick study to show the size of the Stickley compared to what I did originally, before seeing the Stickley specs. The smaller one is square and turned sideways. One wants to display this table with the through-tenons all showing up front.

In this workup, the larger one is shown with legs splayed 2 degrees, and sized at 1.5 x 1.5 inches in section. When doing this with splayed legs, it makes the joinery a little more complex. Build it with lower stretchers non-rectangular in section, the inside faces plumb, the other faces with the tilt.

I see in the pic and description that the species is white oak, not quartersawn. That makes sense, cost-wise. I would search for rift-sawn white oak for this build, if I were to do it.

When I went to build a version of a Charles Rennie Mackintosh hall table last year, I lucked into a special offer when walking into Frank Paxton Lumber here in Denver. An entire bunk of clear wide 4/4 rift sawn white oak had just been moved to the sales floor, and was being offered at a special price.
    Last edited by Gene Davis; 07-28-2016 at 3:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    Sketchup Make 2016 for Mac OS is readily available. http://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-make
    Thanks for the tip. I'll look at installing it on my iMac this weekend.

You're welcome. I just uploaded the current version of the model to the 3D Warehouse. Search "Stickley table #576" and you will find it.

Show us your progress and the final piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    You're welcome. I just uploaded the current version of the model to the 3D Warehouse. Search "Stickley table #576" and you will find it.

Show us your progress and the final piece.
    Quick question..... What's the 3D Warehouse?

Edit: Never mind. I found it.
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 07-29-2016 at 4:30 PM.