Thread: Laguna 14-12 Band Saw and 1/8" blade

Laguna 14-12 Band Saw and 1/8" blade

Hello

If you have used a 1/8" wide blade on a Laguna 14-12 band saw, please tell me how it went. Until now I have used it with a 3/4" blade mainly for ripping and resawing. Now I may need to cut some tight curves with it.

I seem to recall 3 years ago when I bought this saw that Laguna offered a special blade guide for use with 1/8" blades. Now the latest edition of the user manual (on line) says that this saw will accept 1/8" blades, with no mention of an accessory blade guide.

I have not tried to install such a narrow blade yet. I assume that I can get the rear guide forward far enough (or the side guides back far enough). Any other comments/tips will be much appreciated.

Doug

I don't really use a 14" bandsaw but the first question that pops into my mind is, could you do whatever you are trying to do, with a scroll saw?

Regarding guides, I've used the Carter Stabilizer effectively with 1/4" blades but never tried anything smaller.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I use Cool Blocks on my 14" Delta. When I need to use a 1/8" blade it just bury the blocks right over the blade. You could use wooden blocks instead; some folks run with them all the time. I don't know if your Laguna side guides will accept something like that, but if they do it's a good, low cost solution.

John

Eric,

I don't have a scroll saw. (I gave up mine when I downsized. I miss it but I don't know where I would put another tool.) That's why I am trying to make my bandsaw do the job.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I don't really use a 14" bandsaw but the first question that pops into my mind is, could you do whatever you are trying to do, with a scroll saw?

Regarding guides, I've used the Carter Stabilizer effectively with 1/4" blades but never tried anything smaller.

Erik

I have use the Carter Stabilizer guild on other saws with good results (1/8'' blades), but does Carter make a stabilizer for the Laguna guides is the question? As a lot of their stabilizers only work in conjunction with their systems and you also have to take off the entire top guild system when using it.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Hello John and Richard,

Thanks. John, do you mean that you put the ceramic guides forward of the gullet? Doesn't that wear the ceramic and remove the set of the blade?

I was thinking more along the lines of the Carter Stabilizer guide. I don't know whether Carter makes a guide for my saw, and I might not buy one anyway, but the idea seems useful. As I understand from seeing ads and such, the Carter Stabilizer is basically just a rear guide with a slot worn in it for the blade. The slot limits sideways movement of the rear of the blade. They claim that letting the front of the blade turn side to side somewhat is an advantage. Well, my rear guides already have a shallow slot worn in them. I might give that a shot.

The wood idea is interesting but I don't see a way (yet) to apply it on my saw.

Doug

Doug,

Call up Carter directly and ask them directly. They have a current Stabilizer that will fit your 14 Twelve model. Ask for someone in product/technical support. I don't remember what it was as I was going to buy it but haven't had use for it. I don't see the need for Laguna's aftermarket blocks for small blades. The Stabilizer is cheaper.

I believe John was talking about Cool Blocks, which are phenolic guide blocks that won't damage the blade. With Laguna guides you have to replace the entire front section of the guides to use Cool Blocks. It wouldn't be cost-effective for me. I'm not sure if these will fit your saw, but It shows what I'm talking about. http://www.lagunatools.com/accessori...R-LT14-14SE-16

--Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hepler View Post
    Hello John and Richard,

Thanks. John, do you mean that you put the ceramic guides forward of the gullet? Doesn't that wear the ceramic and remove the set of the blade
    Doug

i have this saw and have used that blade. no issues. i have been on the Carter site several times and never saw a stabilizer model for the 14 twelve. wish there was.
    Mike

Blog Entries
    Alex has several videos floating around. He can probably answer your question.

http://www.woodcraft.com/resources/v...dcraftcom.aspx

Thanks to all who responded. I have decided to open up the side guides and just use the rear (thrust) guide. It already has a very shallow groove worn in the surface. (This saw has ceramic guides.) I understand that will work OK with thinner stock and slower feed rates. If that isn't satisfactory I will replace the guide assembly with a wooden dowel with a slot in it. If that isn't satisfactory I'll spring for the Carter stabilizer (Carter says that the JET-1 will fit on my saw). Laguna still sells the attachment, but it would be last choice because it's over $100.

So, I have learned a lot Thanks again

Doug