Thread: Beech Engraves nice

Beech Engraves nice

had scrap piece of beech, thought I'd see how it engraves. I Like itIMG_20160724_124640788.jpg
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Hi Bert,

I have played with some beech too, it seems to engrave nicely and give a fairly dark mark. Pretty sure it's the "wood of the month" at Woodworker's Source, they have it discounted a bit....

p.s. this is a piece of leftover counter top from Ikea.... cut it down and mitered two pieces together for a friend and so I made this out of the left overs.

IMG_1146.jpg
    Last edited by Brian Lamb; 07-24-2016 at 9:46 PM. Reason: ps
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Brian I was there Saturday and yes its on sale till Aug 31 st I'm going to grab some.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Do you guys have any cabinet or furniture shops nearby? They may have scraps left over from jobs that are too small for them to reuse, but might be perfect for what you are doing. My buddy and I used to dumpster dive in cabinet shop dumpsters in HI (with their permission of course) and found some fun stuff. The shops were happy to have it used since they had to pay by the pound to dispose of it.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

David!! Its a 114 degree's do you think I really want to go dumpster diving

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Do you guys have any cabinet or furniture shops nearby? They may have scraps left over from jobs that are too small for them to reuse, but might be perfect for what you are doing. My buddy and I used to dumpster dive in cabinet shop dumpsters in HI (with their permission of course) and found some fun stuff. The shops were happy to have it used since they had to pay by the pound to dispose of it.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I'm a long time woodworker and have shelves and bin boxes full of left overs at my disposal. But, I'm finding since I got the laser, while all wood will laser, a lot of it doesn't work very well, a pretty limited group of species give a nice dark mark with enough contrast to have the engraving be seen. I've done a few species that engrave beautifully, but they are so expensive you can't hardly afford to buy them to engrave on unless it's a very special piece.
    Brian Lamb

Brian

I am partial to cherry and mahogany as readily available, not too expensive varieties. I've had good luck with aromatic cedar as well though my supply has dwindled.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Bert!!! You mean folks don't Swamp Cool their garbage bins in AZ? Doesn't it just spontaneously combust? <grin>

Wait till Dec/Jan. There should be a few days then when it is cool enough to go dumpster diving!!
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Not yet Dave but I'm working on an air conditioned haz mat suit just for the occasion

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Bert!!! You mean folks don't Swamp Cool their garbage bins in AZ? Doesn't it just spontaneously combust? <grin>

Wait till Dec/Jan. There should be a few days then when it is cool enough to go dumpster diving!!
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Hi Mike,

I have had great results with Cherry and African Mahogany, also Beech and Alder. Maple is so-so and Walnut, while it cuts well, it is so dark to begin with that unless I paint fill with white or something, you can't distinguish the wording very well. I had some oddball left overs and tried some Afromosia (African Teak) and it does really nice.... but alas, it's a $25 a board foot species, so not one I will whittle up for plaques.
    Brian Lamb

I personally don't like engraving into wood but sometimes customers insist. If I use walnut I usually fill with black. My preference with wood product is to inlay--if I have the option.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7