Thread: Roberts & Lee handsaw coating?

Roberts & Lee handsaw coating?

I bought two of these a while back but never got around to really get them dialed in before packing everything.

Does anyone know what constitutes and how to remove the tacky coating on the blade? It's a pair of the big 26" panel saws (one rip one xcut if it matters).

The website is mum and the ususaly retailers dont seem to stock the panel saws anymore. I would have thought it was shellac but it doesn't seem to dissolve with alcohol or mineral spirits terribly quickly. Do I need to bust out the acetone?

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Springer View Post
    I bought two of these a while back but never got around to really get them dialed in before packing everything.

Does anyone know what constitutes and how to remove the tacky coating on the blade? It's a pair of the big 26" panel saws (one rip one xcut if it matters).

The website is mum and the ususaly retailers dont seem to stock the panel saws anymore. I would have thought it was shellac but it doesn't seem to dissolve with alcohol or mineral spirits terribly quickly. Do I need to bust out the acetone?
    Lacquer thinner works ( if you have some ) Acetone may do the trick - -

Good luck -

Dave B

Maybe you could use a scraper and chip most of it off.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Be careful with acetone, if there is a printed logo on the plate the acetone may dissolve it. I suspect it is laser engraved though.

Forward them an enquiry to source their recommendation. http://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/...CTION=SHOWFORM