Thread: DMT DUO-Sharp Stones

Blog Entries

DMT DUO-Sharp Stones

Does anyone know how long the DMT DuoSharp Bench Stones last?

Sean it really depends on what you use them for.If you try to flatten a translucent Hard Ark stone it will last about 2 hours.
    If you use it on a soft Japanese king water stone it will last a long time.
    The diamonds are very hard but they can be fractured and lose their pointy ness.
    Thats been my exp.

Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Sean it really depends on what you use them for.If you try to flatten a translucent Hard Ark stone it will last about 2 hours.
    If you use it on a soft Japanese king water stone it will last a long time.
    The diamonds are very hard but they can be fractured and lose their pointy ness.
    Thats been my exp.

Aj
    +1. I use mine for sharpening chisels and plane irons. Had it a couple years and have done a lot of them. Still holding up well.
    Fred

Blog Entries
    As Fredrick is, I'm using them for chisels and plane irons. Good to know they last somewhat decent. Thanks, Sean

I use the coarse Duo Sharp mostly for flattening waterstones.
    After a couple years of use, you can definitely tell its lost its cutting power.

FWIW, if I had it to do over I would not buy the mesh stones. I bought a DiaSharp stone for my carving tools and they are better, especially for narrow chisels and carving tools.

You can buy flattening stones, but better make sure they're flat!! The one I got I discovered is not.

Blog Entries
    I have a coarse-Xcoarse duo sharp for a little over 5 years and use it for coarse work and to flatten my Shapton stones. It has served me well but it is about time to be retired. Mine is the 4"x10" and I would not have a problem buying another.
    I might try a flattening stone and a separate dia-sharp stone for my coarse work. but that will be a bigger investment.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Blog Entries
    I have run the Dia-Sharp format for years. I believe it is the same mono-crystalline material. I have killed Trend and EZ-Lap stone in short order but, have a 600 grit DMT that is pushing 10 years and still in use for sharpening O1, A2 and PM-V11 on a regular basis.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler