Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Heat

Summer Heat

It seems people have been complaining a lot lately about the summer heat. I hasn't been hotter here than a few weeks ago but now we are under warnings and advisories. Not sure what inspires them when the temperature didn't really change.

Possibly their AC went out like mine did yesterday!

It's not the heat, but the humidity. Friday was mid nineties, with dew points in upper seventies. Sat, same temp, but a little lower dew points. Yesterday, upper nineties, but dew point was in the sixties. Yesterday shop was 76, but humid. After running AC for about three hours, temp had only dropped to 75, but it had dried out the air. This morning humidity in shop will be back up as wood in shop gives up moisture to air.

I do know the higher the dew point, the more uncomfortable it feels. Apparently there is little relief in sight any time soon. It's a hot summer boys.

Hi Rich please come for a visitsummer heat.jpg
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    This is strange. Here in the Pacific Northwest we have been having a cooler than normal summer.

This is one of the reasons my wife and I moved up here, to get away from hot summers in the San Francisco area.

We did buy an AC unit this year. To my wife in the 70s seems like a warm day.

Last year we did have a warm summer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Hi Rich please come for a visitsummer heat.jpg
    But if is a dry heat

My wife doesn't buy into this wet, dry and "feels like" heat. To her it's the actual temp only. I have been in Colorado where they have "dry" heat and ti seemed much less miserable.

They say the El Niņo is over maybe the jet stream is doing it.

And yes, it IS the humidity. This is because you sweat but it evaporates quickly, hence more effective cooling.

When I visit my son in Denver and it 95 & 10% humidity thats way, way different where I am in swampy, sweaty FL, where you can die of heat stroke at 88 degrees & 80% humidity.

Just Saturday, measured via my weather station at my house, actual temp outside was 103 with a measured heat index of 123. So...it was a day to work inside for sure. And...yes....I'm ready for fall and winter.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

you don't sweat efficiently past like 75% humidity so u just overheat and die

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    ...When I visit my son in Denver and it 95 & 10% humidity thats way, way different where I am in swampy, sweaty FL, where you can die of heat stroke at 88 degrees & 80% humidity.
    There have been a few times here in Austin where, if I did not stop what I was doing, I would have been on the road to heat stroke. A few months back, I was clearing some brush in our back-40. Wearing a long sleeve "wicking" shirt and long pants, to protect me from the shrubbery. It was not all that hot out: Mid 80's maybe, but very high humidity and no breeze or air movement. I'm a heavy sweat-er, anyhow, and my short and pants were soaked. Not physically working all that hard but my heart rate went up and I could not get it down. Had nothing to do with hydration, was all about "lack of evaporative cooling". Had to come inside and sit under a fan.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Arizona heat is hot, but you can get relief in the shade. It was 95 and 82% humidity here in Iowa last week. I'll take the Arizona heat any day over that. You instantly sweat a lot.

you think its dry heat try 115 at 45% humidity. Or just try 115 outside any humidity. you can't breath its so hot, you can't touch anything it will burn you. I put a heat gun on my car 137 the tires were 170. the news channels out here each summer they cook food in a car on the dash , Dry heat my --------
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I lived in Vagas and the heat was no where as bad as in Ohio with the humidity