Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer Heat

All I know is my air conditioning is working lots. It has been a hot summer in the upper Midwest. Glad my shop has AC.

Sheesh, 34 is as high as it gets here (93F), that 114F is about 44C.................That's hot, although the humidity is low.

Where I am the temp might be 32, however the humidex can be 40............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    All I know is my air conditioning is working lots. It has been a hot summer in the upper Midwest. Glad my shop has AC.
    I have a basement shop and it is actually more uncomfortable in the summer with the AC on than in the winter with the heat on. All the cold air in the house drains to the basement since we leave the basement door open.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

And you guy`s complain about Heat. Pfft it was just 124 here a couple of weeks ago and has stayed in the 110+ and 118+ range for the last two weeks. But it`s Aridzona so we expect it. I understand about 110+ and 70-80% relative humidity as well been there too. They do worry when the ",Midwest, Central and northern states get to 100+. Most folks don`t know how to handle it and older folks are Highly susceptible. By the way they measured the heat on the sidewalk at 152 and the asphalt as 177 on the 124 day. Now that Friggin HOT!!
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

After starting this thread, an unnamed female remarked......."isn't there a song about as long as old men sit and talk about the weather and old women sit and talk about old men." We aren't old, are we?

Today temp 4:51pmIMG_20160726_164454267 (Copy).jpg
    My door knobIMG_20160726_164317486 (Copy).jpg
    My deck that needs painting each fall want to walk barefoot on itIMG_20160726_164332597 (Copy).jpg
    The light color sand is my yardIMG_20160726_164342323 (Copy).jpg
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

It is most definitely the humidity that makes high heat unbearable.

I'm from Colorado. My mother is from Pennsylvania. My dad is from New Mexico.

Anything east of Kansas City is humidity death zone.

I lived in Chicago for 2.5 years between high school and college. I was young and single and it was fun but 20 years later and I don't know how people don't fall like dominoes there!

Even moving to Northern California 17 years ago, I could still feel the humidity increase the first couple of years but the 25-40% they have here is no big deal and I quickly got used to it. Now I find Colorado quite dry when I visit but it is usually in the winter and I spend two weeks skiing the slopes with my brother on that major powder!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This is strange. Here in the Pacific Northwest we have been having a cooler than normal summer.

This is one of the reasons my wife and I moved up here, to get away from hot summers in the San Francisco area.

We did buy an AC unit this year. To my wife in the 70s seems like a warm day.

Last year we did have a warm summer.

jtk
    Have you checked the temps in SF this summer? It hasn't made it to 70 in some time.

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 10.04.40 PM.png

https://weather.com/weather/5day/l/USCA0987:1:US

Peter,

Have you ever heard the saying: "The coldest winter I spent was the summer I spent in San Francisco." SF is very foggy in the summer and therefore quite cool. Winter there is actually the best time to go/visit.

However, the rest of the Bay Area...especially the East and South Bay, can get quite toasty.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Bert,

Not many of us will volunteer to visit you this summer. Stay cool in the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    We aren't old, are we?
    Depends on the day. Some days I'm 35, other days I'm 85...
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Heat is relative to where you are and what you are used to. When I moved to Tasmania from northern New (with 50 celsius and 80 percent humidity in the shade) the locals said to watch out in summer as it is a different kind of heat. I thought ok, yes, it's the kind of heat you have when it is cold, you idiots. It rarely gets above 28 celsius. I was wrong. Here the air is so clear that the sun is like a stilleto rather than a sledgehammer. The air is cool ad so you burn without noticing until it is too late. Having lived and worked in everything from tropical wet seasons to the Snowy Mountains in summer, I was surprised. In fact, the hottest temperature I have measured in a workplace is at Waddamana in the Tasmanian highlands. We were redecking a wooden bridge in the world heritage area and had to wrap the scaffold in plastic for environmental protection. I recorded 65celsius. The guys could only work 5 minute rotations while we finished the containment enough so that the ventilation could be turned on. As soon as we had airflow it was ok. Cheers

Blog Entries
    Have you checked the temps in SF this summer? It hasn't made it to 70 in some time.
    Check the difference between San Francisco and Concord, CA. Both are considered Bay Area Cities. The driving distance between the two is 30 miles.

SF:

San Francisco CA.png

Concord:

Concord CA.png

Quite a difference a few miles, a bay and a bunch of hills can make.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I work in greenhouses and working out there is hot and humid. My body gets to the point where I can not stand going into an air conditioned room.
    Vortex! What Vortex?